Rockshox mag20 corrosion?

HullBorn

Retro Guru
Hi,

Just stripped the paint from my Mag20s. Is the black in the images below corrosion?

If so, what's the best way to get rid of it prior to primer and topcoat?

Cheers

rockshox3.jpg

rockshox2.jpg

rockshox1.jpg

Mine were like that after one winter's use back in 1992! I stripped them, polished them up and resprayed using normal car paints and a warm radiator.

Re:

Polish = The progressive use of finer abrasives to remove blemishes until the desired finish is obtained

Buy a pack of assorted sheets of Aluminium Oxide 'sand paper' from B&Q. Select one of the coarser sheets and cut it into strips about 25mm wide. Secure the fork leg and wrap the abrasive strip around the damaged area. Pull on alternate ends of the strip back and forwards until all trace of the corrosion has gone, moving to finer grades of 'paper' as you progress. If the corrosion is too deep in places (photo 2 ?) then use a file in that area and blend in as smoothly as possible

If you have a Tool Shop in your area, it is preferable to buy 25mm wide fabric backed abrasives off the roll in the grade and length you require. You can then put more effort into the job without the strips breaking

To complete the job you really require a ' 2 pack ' etching primer as a base to your paint finish

Bare in mind, that this is Magnesium. I think you should use some special passivizing uhm.. stuff before painting them. Or they will just continue corroding underneath the new paint.

Re:

Thias":rs6mdi81 said:
Bare in mind, that this is Magnesium. I think you should use some special passivizing uhm.. stuff before painting them. Or they will just continue corroding underneath the new paint.

Yep. Selenious acid, a mixture of chromic and sulphuric acid or just watered down chromic acid (10:1).
Be sure not to use a wire brush or any other steel based cleaning abrasives. Magnesium is highly reactive and adding steel to the surface will encourage dissimilar metal corrosion regardless of any paint used.
use epoxy or chromate primer once treated.

Re:

sanding and painting will do the job but with magnesium as prone to corrosion and cracking as it is I'd want to be sure it wasn't going to come back!

Back