Do you keep your builds?

HullBorn

Retro Guru
I'm looking round at the some of the awesome build projects you lot are working on/have worked on and I'm wondering do you keep and use them or sell them on?

Not to be a nosy parker, but if you sell them do you generally get the money back you've invested? Some look like a lot of time and money have been invested in them.

Cheers

Welcome.
I've had bikes I've modified a bit, well still taken them apart and fitted new parts.
Bike I had for 9 years ago now and use it properly, well that's not got a single part left on it from when I bought it.
Plus full respray by me and new decals.

Re:

I keep all my builds, the only bikes I have sold have been more modern. I guess its the time and care involved that gives a connection to the bike that would make it harder to part with. If I did sell one of my precious Parkpres it would probably be used as a donor bike for someones build. Selling complete bikes hardly ever recoups the cost of the build as paying a premium for better quality parts doesn't make it a cheap hobby.

I used ride all my builds but that was before health issues got in the way.

Not really, way too expensive for my purse.

I can afford to have one extra about the place and some frames to look at but more often then not its out the door with them whole or in bits.

Re:

Ive built a few bikes over the years but i only own one bike at a time, its cheaper and less of an addiction that way :)

When i sell bikes off i always split the parts, thats your best way of getting your money back. I usually get what i paid or slightly less, by the time people have made me offers. Once you factor in postage costs though your always at a loss

Sean

I try to sell all the bikes I don't like to ride.

I guess I am not the "pure" collector type. Rather the build and ride type of guy. I really like to test things out, modify, testride, remodify, ride again. That would go on for a year and I will start getting bored. So I find a new bike to build and fiddle with. The old one gets disassembeled and the frame goes on to the next fellow to have fun with.
And I really like to build stuff just for the looks.

That said, I have around 15 bikes. And there are one or two I would never sell.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":1b15gpug said:
Selling complete bikes hardly ever recoups the cost of the build as paying a premium for better quality parts doesn't make it a cheap hobby
Looking on Ebay the parts do seem to be worth more that the whole bike. May not be a cheap hobby but it's good feeling building something from scratch or restoring a neglected bike, looking at the before and after.

Re:

I have not kept any of my builds but I do have a couple of keepers that came to me as full, original bikes. Don't know why but I seem to prefer it that way and become more attached to the original ones.

As others have said, I can't afford to keep all of them and one build funds another. Money wise I've been lucky enough to find some decent bargains on ebay over the years so would have thought I at least break even if not maybe be in a little profit. Saying that, any money gained will have gone on modern bike depreciation. :facepalm:

Re:

All of them. You should see my loft! :LOL: :LOL:

What I may be tempted by though, would be if I were to see a lovely frameset for sale. Then I may strip one bike, flog the frameset, and put the bits on the new one.
As already mentioned though, you do feel a sentimental attachment once you've built them up, so are loathe to sell a whole bike

Edit: Mine ALL get ridden!

Mike

Latest posts

Back