Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all ,

I have a pair of Gripshift ESP900 shifters on my current project , with a Sram 9.0 on the other end of the cable . Trying to set it up to go across an 8speed Shimano cassette and using an 8speed chain but having no luck.
Maybe the mech is for 9speed ? It is in a bad way anyhow so needs replacing , but with what ? Do I need a Shimano mech ?
Tried to find pull ratios on Sheldon Brown's site but no luck . Can anyone help please ?

Thanks

Mike

Re:

Isn't the ESP900 for use with Shimano pull ratio and the ESP9.0 is 1:1 Sram only?

Re: Re:

B3":1spkmja5 said:
Isn't the ESP900 for use with Shimano pull ratio and the ESP9.0 is 1:1 Sram only?

Hi , thanks for your reply ;) I used to remember such things , but not any more :oops:

I hope that's the case , as I have a Shimano road rear mech I think .

EDIT ;Just been in the loft , came out with the only spare Shimano rear mech I have , a tricolour Ultegra . That would be so wrong , wouldn't it ! :facepalm:

Mike

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3199qw8b said:
ESP is the SRAM 1:1 900 being the first to got with the 900 mech.

Thanks FC ;) You must be right as I just tried the Shimano road mech mentioned , but was far worse than the other one :roll:

Need to find a good Sram one now then .

Has to

Re:

Maybe in your world HM , but not in mine . Just need compatible non-knackered mech for the shifters .
Now we've established I had the right one , I'll go hunting for a better one .
My mtbs run gripshift , thumbies and sti levers - you should see the size of the bars :LOL: :LOL: :oops: - and they all have their good and bad points . Had thumbies on a bike on a night ride last night . Wish I'd had gripshift then .

Mike

Thumbies on relaxed or day rides. Other stuff if I need quick changes but never gripshifts. I find them a bit odd. Well pants and plasticky.

Re:

Was riding wet , rooty twisty , technical singletrack last night . I find gripshift better for that sort of thing , as I don't lose grip from my thumb changing down . It's constant grip , obviously .
Also , it must be easier to change gear with all of your hand surely , than to change gear all day long with your thumb , at least on the downshifts

Mike

Re:

Ran this exact combination back in 1997 on my Zaskar LE. I also currently have the same mech (ESP 9.0) and shifters (ESP 900) in my possession for a forthcoming project.
It is for 8 speed, so your cassette and chain should not be an issue.

The mech and shifters are compatible and the ESP 1:1 cable pull ratio actually makes them very good, a huge improve on the SRT-800 X-Rays and their predecessors which used a 2:1 ratio and non dedicated mechs.

Anyway firstly, make sure your cables are nice, clean and lubricated.

Also, take a look at the cable clamping position at the rear mech. There is a right side and a wrong side of the clamping bolt. It affects the cable pull and hence the shifting.

This workshop guide may also be useful:--> http://www.rideandrepair.co.uk/maintena ... h_1999.jpg

Back