Headshok I did it

themountie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After many hours the headshok is rebuilt a little ruff but fully working and way better than a seized on.

Took a old seat post and a hammer to get apart,put the shims and races in a special Steve de ruster over night which got 95% of the rust and crap off looked around for the best way to rebuild after try 3 different ways it was not having any of it,

So did it Steve way Slide the forks in and knocked the races and shims in front of the the top.

I not going to be in a rush to rebuild another

I would love a step by step tutorial on this. I have avoided cannondales thus far because of this.

Lhatch4":3axlzvz4 said:
I would love a step by step tutorial on this. I have avoided cannondales thus far because of this.

Well, in the interests of not effing up a Headshok I wouldn't use the method :shock: that was "detailed" here. :facepalm:

If you want to know how to do it properly there are lots of threads, with pictures, online from other forums that don't involve using a hammer, FFS.

Lol I it was not the best way to do it I admit but after reading walk throughs etc and this one being seized solid soaking did nuthin so had to tap it out the races were welded to the shims soid thankfully nothing was broke or bent

old_coyote_pedaller":1d27hxky said:
Lhatch4":1d27hxky said:

Well, in the interests of not effing up a Headshok I wouldn't use the method :shock: that was "detailed" here. :facepalm:

If you want to know how to do it properly there are lots of threads, with pictures, online from other forums that don't involve using a hammer, FFS.

Any link to the other descriptions? Fancy having a go at my 20year old fatty ;)

Mick

godders":5scmzshy said:
old_coyote_pedaller":5scmzshy said:
Lhatch4":5scmzshy said:

Any link to the other descriptions? Fancy having a go at my 20year old fatty ;)

Mick

The 2 links themountie put up are a start, it's just a question of looking and you will find. Don't expect to find any of Cannondale's actual workshop manual info, they removed it all from their site years ago possibly because of them maybe being blamed if someone used that info to rebuild their Headshok/Lefty and effing it up, getting hurt and then suing them for it. Litigious America.

I have around 5/6 Headshoks, a couple came with my bikes, others were bought with the idea of building good ones out of the bits, never happened when I bought a Lefty, then a 2nd Lefty for my 2 Cannondales, a Super V and an F800. The biggest problem with maintaining old Headshoks/Leftys is the plethora of special tools required to work on them. Each model has different tools. Tools for cartridge re-building/changing seals, tools to remove and fit the bearings....etc. The 2 Leftys I have require different tools to remove the damper cartridge (Castle Tools), these tools are different from the ones needed for Headshoks. Some or most of these tools for older Headshoks/Leftys are almost impossible to find, if you do they are expensive because of their rarity. As can be seen from the Sheldon Brown link decent bodges can be used to replace some of the tools for re-assembling them but others are needed or you will definitely eff up the forks. Spares for the bearings inside the forks are fairly cheap and easily available, but you don't just take out the old ones replacing them with new, they are different thicknesses to take into account the machining process for where the bearings sit inside the fork. If you have a fork with OK bearings and dismantle them you need record where each of the bearing plates were so that they go back in correct place. If not the fork bearing could be too loose causing play or too tight causing too much pre-load and worse, excess wear. I suspect themountie's Headshok will be like this, more than a bit rough.
Leftys/Headshoks are probably the stiffest, lightest forks there are but require regular maintenance, like greasing the needle bearings inside every so many hours of use, the internals have to be kept clean when doing this as rubber boot has to be moved out of way, it's so easy for dirt attached to the edge of boot where it is secured to get inside.
They take a lot of dedication if you would to use them.

Never meant to write an essay but wanted to let you know what it takes, do it correctly and you will have a fork functioning smoothly as it should or wrongly and you'll have a fork that's just shit.

Re:

Mines now by no means perfect but a far cry from when I started as it was completely seized solid, and now understand why people shy away from trying to fix them and end up just replacing them.

Tbe engineering in them is fantastic really, I was lucky as the damper seemed OK and just managed to save the races and shims.

The only reason why I attempt it was the cannondale v was picked up by up cheapppp

Thanks for the info. I'll just continue to avoid old cannondales. Life's to short for all of that. ;-)

Back