Trek Y Seat Post Clamp Q?

El-Y22

Old School Hero
Hi all,

ISTR that you need to use the supplied seat post clamp with the carbon versions of the Trek Y. Does anyone out thee know for sure?

Thanks.

I've seen so many pics of Ys with random seat post clamps that I guess it isn't an issue. Anyway I was pointed in the direction of the very cheap Bontrager dot Carbon Friendly Seat Post Clamp. It fits perfectly over the marks left by the original clamp.

Hi Ellie

Only just seen this, I think back when the carbon Y bikes were made the stress problems with carbon were not known about so a standard clamp was fitted, hence the many random clamps... Glad you found one to fit nicely and a carbon friendly one is a bonus too.

Have you posted any pictures of the bike? We always like a nice picture...

Just felt I needed to post something on here as I did not want you to feel ignored or unwelcome on the site.

Well, thanks for making me feel welcome.

I can't show you a picture as it's just a pile of bits right now.

I lusted over the carbon Y bikes back in the day, but as a fourteen year old could only stretch to a '98 Alloy Y5 on sale in '99. Anyway I have a complete minty LX M585 V-Brake groupset along with a 9sp cassette, chain and a set of new M565 Wheels that I bought as a bundle on clearance a long time ago ago for a project bike I never got round to doing, it probably would have stayed that way, but recently I got my hands on a nice early Y22 and plan to put it all together for semi-retro build.

Some might think that's sacrilege, but it's what I'm doing, I don't think I have the patience to hunt down the right parts anymore.

I just need to find some nice M585 era Shimano mechanical disc calipers* so I can use the forks I just bought. I'll probably weld a mount on the URT at some point too (also sacrilege,) it seems simple enough from pictures I've seen and easily reversed.

Regards,

Ellie

*Yeah I know Avid BB7s are much better as are M585 LX hydraulic disc brakes. I want to stick with an all Shimano groupset as that's what the rest is going to be and I haven't seen a decent priced set of NOS M585s in a long time.

Last edited:
Well, most builds start with a pile of parts...

Don't worry about what others think it is your build and you can do what you want, it sounds like a reasonable build to me... It does seem a bit of a faff with the brakes though welding disc mounts and such but if you are able to do it or know someone who can then why not?

You might want to start a build thread, with just a picture of the frame...

Also it might be an idea to put a wanted ad for the brakes, you never know what people have just sitting around in their parts bins...

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark!
Well, most builds start with a pile of parts...
True enough...
Don't worry about what others think it is your build and you can do what you want, it sounds like a reasonable build to me... It does seem a bit of a faff with the brakes though welding disc mounts and such but if you are able to do it or know someone who can then why not?
The forks I'm going to use are Pace RC38 Hollowforms, so going with a mechanical disc to start with seems easiest as I have V-brake levers, I imagine implants are like hens teeth.

The rear is going to be V brake to begin with, but it doesn't seem difficult to to fabricate and weld a mount and if I can get someone to let me use thier AC TIG that's simple enough do, so I may add a disc to the rear, especially if I find a pair of nice M585 levers and calipers.
You might want to start a build thread, with just a picture of the frame...
I may well do that!
Also it might be an idea to put a wanted ad for the brakes, you never know what people have just sitting around in their parts bins...
One ad is up, but I may need to edit it!

Regards,

Ellie

Back