Shimano 1990 PD-m550 Deore LX pedals ,Question ??

fiendish feet

Retro Guru
Ok so today i thought i would service a couple of pairs of caged pedals i had laying around . My Dx caged pedals are easy to remove cages and service axle and bearing.
So cleaned up the Lx pedals and the cages bolts have no hex they don't appear to have any damage . Ive looked online at others for sale and all seem to have the same non hex cage bolts
So my question is are these unserviceable pedals anyone shine a light
Cheers

Thanks for clarifying, thats a shame their not in bad cosmetics
I dont like throwing retro stuff in the bin . The rivits look to small to grind a slot into as well ..
Cheers

Seems strange they would be riveted on :? anyway, the service manual is on the XT service instruction leaflet if you can find one of those.

Attachments

• ser.jpg
    ser.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 379
PD-M450 Exage pedals have the same cage rivets (the bear-trap style ones looking like the MT60s Deore pedals).

These LX ones are easily the worst pedals Shimano ever made: heavy, unserviceable (unless you have special tools/patience to fiddle with it through the tiny hole under the plastic axle end cap), nasty looking, and wears quickly. Spoils the othewise durable/nicely made M550-560 LX series heavily.

If there's no axle play, I would try to remove the plastic cap and feed it with grease generously until it comes off the other end (cleans the old lubrication out as well, more or less). If there's play, well...I wouldn't bother.

Yeah the axles are loose as hell and needed adjusting..
My plan was to remove cages rub them down and repaint grease them and stick them on my Hammer .
You have saved me much time and swearing as ive flung them into the shadows in the shed...

Re:

I had a set of those LX plasticy things from new on my Dynatech and I reckon they lasted a few months.I replaced them with DX.Anyone know the difference between DX and XT?

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":34boob7q said:
.Anyone know the difference between DX and XT?

DX has steel cage and the body pins are formed from the alu body itself. XT has alu cage and the body pins are made of steel, factory pressed into the alu body, hence many of them are missing now, - due to usage - making them look neglected/hard to restore.

Cages are interchangeable. The outer axle special rubber O-ring is still available new from Shimano, part number: Y41612000

Back