Raleigh Maverick Front Mech

A quick squizz shows 4 differences. The fork crown, the seat tube lug, the rear brake cable bridge and the rear dropout ( fitted with a track adjuster )
other than that they are identical !!! and you are showing a Stumpjumper . Seriously, I am not familiar with Specialized bikes, and only know that the
'word on the street' was as I suggested above, and that a Japanese manufacturer ( the frame label says ' made in Japan ' ) was supplying Raleigh in the short term both to meet demand , and ensure a presence in this important new expanding market

Plus the stays and the cable stops themselves.

But, it does just about show a nice Sachs front mech on the Maverick

On the Specialized topic, their frames were made in Taiwan. Among the early 80's Japanese builders were S&G and something like 'Hukota' - dodgypedia has this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J ... ufacturers

Heres a 84 Rockhopper that is so wildly 'different' its not worth pointing anything out

5999903618_7c5cfa5396_z.jpg

I was getting excited over a Schwinn but that wasnt close either.

I would love to know who built for Raleigh.

focomat 1c":184jmvss said:
A quick squizz shows 4 differences. The fork crown, the seat tube lug, the rear brake cable bridge and the rear dropout ( fitted with a track adjuster )
other than that they are identical !!! and you are showing a Stumpjumper . Seriously, I am not familiar with Specialized bikes, and only know that the
'word on the street' was as I suggested above, and that a Japanese manufacturer ( the frame label says ' made in Japan ' ) was supplying Raleigh in the short term both to meet demand , and ensure a presence in this important new expanding market

Unfortunately Raleigh was very late and very possibly permanently damaged by ignoring the ATB scene as a fad. Theres a quote somewhere from their then marketing lady stating that Raleigh had no interest in a 'fad'.

Then a couple of years later out popped the Maverick Pro, built by SBDU of all things!

1987raleighcat_uk_12_lg.jpg

This was too rusty to carry on as a project:

file.php

Back