Modern freehub, 8 speed cassette

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got a new “11 speed compatible” novatech hub I’m trying to fit an 8 speed freewheel to. Seems to need a spacer.

Only a couple of mm out but I thought hg freehubs were either “7 speed” or “everything else”.

Am I behind the times again or is something weird occurring?

Re:

I think 11 speed changed the rules again. Mavic 10sp is 11sp compatible as it had a spacer, but 10/11 generally don't mix.

Re:

Very slim spacer seems to have solved the issue, probably only about a millimetre in it...

...tyre’s f*ing tight though.

I'd ordered some shiny new shimano wheels last year and forgot about the spacer which was in a separate bag.

Took me ages to realize that I had 11spd wheels, I'd forgotten about 11spd wheels, I'd forgotten about 11spd all together

Even a 10spd cassette was flapping about a bit, hence my own flapping about.

legrandefromage":zpzq5i2m said:
I'd ordered some shiny new shimano wheels last year and forgot about the spacer which was in a separate bag.

Took me ages to realize that I had 11spd wheels, I'd forgotten about 11spd wheels, I'd forgotten about 11spd all together

Even a 10spd cassette was flapping about a bit, hence my own flapping about.

Cool, glad it’s not just me... you learn something every day. Not sure whether they bundled a spacer with these, but I found one in my parts bin which seems to have done the trick. I’ll have another look in the box.

Back