Kona cindercone paint colour

Frank Stross

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I have a 1995 Kona cindercone frame, the colour is a mid metallic blue. There are a lot of paint chips to certain areas of the frame so I am planing on touching up these areas. I am hoping someone will know what is the best colour match aerosol paint to the original as this will not be a complete respray. I was thinking of taking the frame along to my local Halfords or Wilco's and comparing the colour in the shop. Of if there is a Kona paintcode for this colour would be helpful. I will most likely need the top tube decal as well as this is badly scratched. The rest are ok and was going to leave them. Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the site.

Not sure of the paint code but Gil-m (member on here) from Retrodecals should be able to help with the top tube decal

mark

Re:

Hi!

Just yesterday went through the whole Cromax Centauri/Pro car paint fan decks (color example papers) and it took a little over half an hour to see them through, pick TOP 5 most similar ones, and to choose the best of these with the help of the shop expert. So not a huge work effort even if nobody here would have the color code ready for you. Good luck!

Re:

Hello, Thanks for the info. I will make contact regarding the decals. The frame was stripped of all components this morning so I can get a good look at it. The chain stay is the worst area and three has also been some tyre rub in that area. The rest is general chips scrapes and cable rub. I bought the bike new back in 1995 from Ben Haywards in Cambridge. Originally it was a Lava Dome in midnight blue. Purchased on the Tuesday, taken home for the weekend on the Friday, first ride on the Saturday and went over the handlebars and bent the the tubes behind the headset. Back to the shop on the monday (donning cuts and bruises) saying it's not up to the job. They replaced the frame with a cindercone and transferred all the bits. Still riding it today. Still have the little pot of bronze paint for the project two forks.

Re:

Yes exactly the same blue. Off into town tomorrow to see what I can find as a best paint match. Will look for the rover kingfisher blue as that looks a close match. The only original components on the bike now are the mavic wheels and hubs, rear & front mech. Everything else has been replaced & upgraded. Most of it did not need it and I have kept it all in a box. I never liked the grip shift so that was the first to go, found it clunky and a stiff shifting gear. The handle bars bent so they went in the bin. But the rest is all good. In the loft if I had a good rummage would be the 1995 sales brochure and the purchase receipt.

Re:

Oh and the original bottom bracket was replaced ( and kept) this summer, it still worked but was beginning to growl slightly. And I also replaced the STX crank and rings for a second hand sugino set. The STX is still good but the middle ring 32t was badly worn. Can this ring be replaced, is a new ring still available?

Back