Kona bike help please!!

Yes, I saw you mentioned a 1" Heaset, which somewhat threw me.

However, this is the detail of how Kona frames ran with Headsets:

1988 – 1990 all models has 1” headset.
1991 - 1993 Hahanna & Fire Mountain had 1" headsets, all other models were 1 1/8".
1994 and onwards all were 1 1/8".

Your frame is a 1994 owing to the lack of a Triangle cut-out in the dropouts, and produced towards the very end of 1993.

See 1993 Fire Mountain below:

View attachment 554247

View attachment 554248

May I ask where you are taking the 26.6 measurement that you mentioned?

Pip
The vernier said 26.65 inside the seat tube. But they do seem to be a little out sometimes.

Okay, now I am a little cofused.

The measurement of the Headset is the O/S diameter of the Fork Steerer, which you can't really see with the Headset in place - unless you unscrew the Top Lock nut while it's in situ.

You now mention the Seat Tube, which is a different part of the frame from the Head Tube. A 1994 Fire Mountain may well have a 26.6mm Seat Post Diameter, but I'd have to delve deaper.

Pip

Yes. I've taken the fork off and the headset. But not the cups yet. The internal dimension of the fork steerer is 22.2 and the lock nut from my 1 inch headset fits perfectly.

Unless they are using some sort of shim on the cups it's a 1 inch headset.

How very curious. Yes a 1" Headset does indeed have a 22.2 Steerer I/D for the Stem Quill, and I appologise if I confused the matter further.

Anyway, I'll delve a bit deaper.

Pip.

How very curious. Yes a 1" Headset does indeed have a 22.2 Steerer I/D for the Stem Quill, and I appologise if I confused the matter further.

Anyway, I'll delve a bit deaper.

Pip.
No not a problem at all. I appreciate all the help.

I know from having many Marin bikes that serial numbers don't always match the numbering protocol and that sometimes dropouts and headtubes and seattubes aren't always the same as what the catalogue says!!

I'll take the cups out today and see if the headtube has any form of reducer in it.

And ill buy some better calipers!!

So confusion no more. It is a 1 1/8th headtube.

But it was a 1 inch headset. View attachment 554273
Well blimey! We just have to remember to expect anything when dealing with these old bikes - lol.

It's pleasing to know that my extensive documentation was on the mark, as it took a long time collate over the years, and I always refer to it on these occasions.

Pip

Well blimey! We just have to remember to expect anything when dealing with these old bikes - lol.

It's pleasing to know that my extensive documentation was on the mark, as it took a long time collate over the years, and I always refer to it on these occasions.

Pip
it wasn't a huge surprise to see these in there!!

got one-off - now the other one!

Back