1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 20)

Thanks @Spaltinho

Small update: had time for some light sanding this morning that gives me hope, looks like for the most part I can sand to smoothness without taking off too much paint. More will be needed though, picking up a third can today of green, pretty sure it will all work out with patience :)

I'm really stoked about my parts to go on which are almost all ready to go

Nice to hear the paint is working out for you this time. Did you mention what colour the decals are going to be?

That “made in USA” decal is the one I’m looking for to replace the damaged one at the bottom of my seat tube. Can’t seem to find it as a single.

Thanks @Spaltinho

Small update: had time for some light sanding this morning that gives me hope, looks like for the most part I can sand to smoothness without taking off too much paint. More will be needed though, picking up a third can today of green, pretty sure it will all work out with patience :)

I'm really stoked about my parts to go on which are almost all ready to go
Sounds like you’re winning! 💪 Painful process but there’s a baby-bum-smooth-fluro-green heaven at the end of the textured-fluro-green tunnel!!! 🤣💪

Nice to see the cleaned up and polished parts, less stressful dealing with these, apart from the stuck screw here & there. 😜

AND, we choose to do this stuff for fun?!* 😱🤣🤣👍

Pretty sure it will all work out with patience .
Take your time with the wet sanding of the mid color layer here. Second, use distilled water, liberally, to clean the frame so there is NO mineral residue deposited anywhere on the surface. Do not use soap. Do not use your bare hands. If possible blow the frame dry with a compressor. The last thing you need is a deposit of water to run out of some hidden nook to run across your newly wet clear coat right in the middle of paint, cause you had to rotate the frame for whatever reason. Lastly and most importantly use several high end tack cloths to prep the frame before you apply your clear AND be prepaired to begin your clear shortly after the tack cloth. Change your nitrite gloves often and between all steps. Remember to keep the glove tight on whichever finger(s) you use to depress the paint can nossle!

Yes @27motorhead , it can be very frustrating and can try our patience at times: suck seatposts, bottom brackets, derailleur screws :LOL: , etc. and also very pleasant and satisfying: cleaning/polishing small parts, repacking bearings 😌. The final assembly/build is what makes it all worthwhile apart from first real ride. I’ve enjoyed wrenching bikes as much as riding them since tumbling down this rabbit hole 35 years ago.

Thanks so much for the tips @MuchAlohaNui! I will definitely be using some of your pointers with my next step.

At long last I have a green coat I am happy with which still has some minor imperfections but nothing I can't live with. Third can picked up yesterday and drained it. Not before very careful sanding of the previous coat. I took a different approach and painted outdoors in a area fairly sheltered from wind and held the frame in my hands so I could paint at any angle and search every inch for problem areas. I found that laying it on thick actually worked best to get nooks and crannies smooth. Areas that started to get gritty could be saved by dousing it with more paint (this paint does not run). At the end of yesterday’s session I was left with a pretty decently smooth coat with a few areas a bit gritty.

This morning before work I spent about an hour smoothing out those slightly gritty areas using very light 1000 grit. Not perfect but very acceptable for my level of OCD. This frame has probably seen around 30 hours of attention so far....

Pictures below show the green a but dull/pale but the colour is quite nice in real life, clear coat will make it about as baby-bum-smooth and glossy as can be 😁

I plan to leave it to cure for a few days. Pretty sure I don’t need to as the cure time is only 6-8 hours but no way am I chancing it and risking crinkling/reactions. I’ll be sure to use some of @MuchAlohaNui ‘s pointers (my oily hands were all over the frame this morning smoothing it out ☺️)

Green 03.jpg
Green 02.jpg

Back