WTD: 1990s rigid steel MTB for tourer conversion

johnlondon1000

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm based in Coventry and am looking - as the post says above - for a 1980s or 1990s rigid steel mountain bike suited for conversion into an everyday runaround, with the idea of adding a mudguards and rack for light touring/longer rides.
I don't have a car so was hoping might pick something up in the Cov, Warwickshire or Birmingham area at a push.
Hoping to pay under 100 quid for bike in good order. Had mulled on getting a Rockhopper, one of the better Marins or a Kona, but would be open to suggestions if the frame is good and it can take a rack.
Many thanks, John.

PS: Forgot to add, I'm 6 foot tall, so I guess I'm looking for roughly a 19' to 21'' inch frame.

Got a 1993 19" Marin Bear Valley SE - already on Schwalbe CityJet slicks......any good? Can get pics over later if so.

I have a 19” Kona Lavadome from 92. Needs some forks but I can source those and get a working bike together for you. Even got some nice Tioga tanwall slicks that I can put on.

Happy to post to you.

Re:

Hi guys, Thanks for the offers. I was hoping to find a bike in my home area to test ride it before pulling the trigger. I know this will hugely limit who might have a suitable bike, but I thought I'd take a punt here as this is the site where people really love these 1990s MTBS. Anyway, thanks again for the offers.

Back