Why do you collect retro bikes?

I don´t collect bicycles. They come to me :LOL: . I ride and enjoy them. That is all. I´m not a collector despite I have some ... well, too much bicycles and one in proyect ;) .

Re:

Just to piss her indoors off..... I also leave bike components in drawers, cupboards and the pantry just to annoy her even more.

This is why!

According to her anyways :roll:

Re:

For me it's definitely now all about being able to have some of the bikes I hankered after in my teens, the Dynatechs and the e-stays. There was a period when I had just returned to MTBs when I was trying to upgrade retro bikes to be competitive with modern bikes, with a view on the marathon events I still do, but ultimately I tried a 29er and that's taken over as the bike I use when I'm riding against the clock, but I still love taking the retros out for a chilled ride.

Re:

Looking for the holy grail bike/s and when you find them you still keep looking, believing there must be something slightly better out there. Eventually after many years and dollars you realise there really is’nt and that’s a good feeling.

I don't like suspension. I had a 2013 Cinder Cone and it was nasty to ride - pogo effect, handling varies offroad as the fork compresses, ridiculously wide riser bars, not even that nice to look at. I have a 1994 Kilauea now...and a 1992 Cinder Cone for commuting. They are way better. Modern MTBs are ok if you reguarlly throw yourself down the side of rocky mountains but most of us ride around muddy woods.

legrandefromage":18nbrjl2 said:
They weren't retro when I started.

This sums me up too, I got my '97 Marin Mount Vision from a mate in '98 when he bought the disc brake version, this complemented my Cannondale M700 (which I foolishly sold to a mate) perfectly.
I then bought the 2001 Mount Vision from the same mate in 2009 and have been riding these two ever since.

My Pace RC200 F5 is the only bike I bought because it's retro, I wanted a bike for the road but don't like road bikes plus I'd always wanted a square tubed Pace.

I collect for many reasons. Because I like their style, because I like the way they ride, because I like to build and fettle, because you are sharing your experience of the ride with those that rode it before, and those that will ride it after.

I have MTB and Road bikes, they are old ( the oldest is 1921) and functional, and built to last, so why throw one away and buy a new one just because....

We do not own them, we are custodians of these machines, and enjoy them while we can.

Oh gosh, definitely trying to keep hold of my fast-disappearing youth, I agree there! (Speaking as a fat middle-aged wotsit). Personally I've run a team since the early 90's and have always been reluctant to throw out used kit, and indeed sell off the kit that never got used.....and it grew. I could never, ever have afforded a Yeti ARC when I was a teenager/early 20-something, even today that bike build was a money pit, it was still shockingly expensive. Now that it's built that one is my cremation fund when I die!

Back