What bike for ?...cough, 15st unfit newish to road bikes..

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know I know..choice is subjective etc etc...but some advice as to type, material parts choice etc would be much appreciated.

Used to ride a road bike to school, some 24yrs ago, hada brief dalliance with a Lemond Zurich, which was too big...impulse buy, and a Raleigh Record I swapped with a friend..again 2 big..Both were approx 56/57mm or equiverlant in ".

Normally I just build up MTBs in my garage, promise myself I will ride them, and never do. No decent places to ride without getting in the car, no time etc etc..the excuses are endless.

So I think, get another road bike...that way I can pop out whenever, nip to the shops.

Now bear in mind, I am over 40, somewhat unfit and a little overweight at present...about 15st...though with a plan to get back to a 12-13 st.

I doubt that a nimble racer is for me....but the frame types, choice is a little bewildering to a novice.

Would like a 80s retro ride, or maybe early 90s....budget is dependant om me selling/swapping my MTBs and parts.....but could maybe go to £500 .

So your advice, knowledge, comments would be much appreciated.

Regards Keith

IF you want a do it all bike a 521 frame, sold as a Audax or touring bike, whilst not as fast as a out and out road bike will also handle off road jaunts as well, pop on mudguards and a rack and will serve you will for shopping and commuting. A cyclocross bike may also be woth a look.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, I was up to over 19st at one point and my Galaxy served me well, which had 531st tubes so I second the comment about maybe getting a tourer.
The racers do seem to come in different styles, some really skinny ones, then the audax type with mudguard clearance and fatter tyres, then tourers, sure you'll find something to suit.

The other option is to put slicks on your mtb for road riding, my first adult bike was an mtb, after I put slicks on it made a load of difference.

Back