Warning Marmite URT Content / 1997 Orange X1 Pro

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So some late night eBaying, a cheeky bid on a frame that I hold close to my heart and hey presto the next morning I'm greeted to 'You Have Won, Please Pay The Seller'
£36 Of my finest pounds later and I excitedly awaited the delivery of my new acquisition.

The X1 is deffo a Marmite bike, you either love or hate, no middle ground, its one or the other. Its URT (Unified Rear Triangle) and Single Pivot Suspension was not one that really took off although many other bike manufacturers did incorporate it before moving with the times and using alternative pivot set ups and linkages. However, that aside and despite its mixed reviews I have found it a really awesome bike to hit the trails on.

So back to my purchase and the 1997 X1 Pro. For starters I didn't even know it existed, I'd owned several X1's including the RS version, but in all my research never really came across on in the flesh. Not much has changed from what I can see other than it doesn't have the rear disc mount and this one sports a more modern headtube badge. Interestingly it also carries the http://www.orangebikes.co.uk decal on both rear stays, these look factory fitted decals too. Its in good condition, better than the eBay pics portrayed. So the plan is to build this up, rather than use for spares for my other X1's. It may even have its debut at Mountain Mayhem 2019 :shock:

Anyway, here is a couple of pics. It will be getting some Pace Forks fitted which I have just had serviced by Tim @ Justbackdated / Fork English.

Jussa :D

Attachments

• X1 Pic 1.jpg
    X1 Pic 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 510
  • X1 Pic 2.jpg
    X1 Pic 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 510
Re:

I must be one of the few others that actually likes these bikes :LOL:
Frame looks great, looking forward to seeing this build progress :)

I toyed with buying that - however one was enough for me !

Does it have a decent bottom bracket- as advertised

Attachments

• D3DFA3EC-78EF-493D-A832-36C1E45CCD5F.jpeg
    D3DFA3EC-78EF-493D-A832-36C1E45CCD5F.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 502
Retro Spud":2xd886c4 said:
I toyed with buying that - however one was enough for me !

Does it have a decent bottom bracket- as advertised

It does have a Hope BB fitted which spins nicely. I have not tried to remove it as it looks like it needs a special spanner? I will report back when I am able to remove it.

Back