Vitus 992 chainstay lug repair...

Helmut Head

Dirt Disciple
Hi All, I just bought this Vitus 992 - the epoxy glue on the chain stay lug has failed - I really only bought it for parts (Vitus headset, Campag Record brifters. etc) but frankly it seems a damn shame to consign it to the tip as it's in pretty good condition otherwise.
What are the chances of re-glueing the lug in question? I'm sure the biggest problem will be opening the seat stay far enough to actually get some epoxy in - anyone been through the process?
Cheers

Attachments

• PA290439.JPG
    PA290439.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PA290440.JPG
    PA290440.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 30
I haven’t done it, but there are very few adhesives I’d trust for the bond. It’s expensive, but you really need to use Scotch Weld 9323 for this. The lugs are tapered so there’s probably a plug of old adhesive in the tube. I think if you take the wheel off you should be able to pull the lug out and let it spring back towards the inside of the frame so you can get to the tube easily. Try to dig out all the old adhesive with a pick, needle file etc, rough up the lug and mix up enough adhesive to re-fill the gap. 9323 will be a lot stronger than the original adhesive so it won’t be 100% critical to get it perfect, but do make sure you clamp it up to cure and don’t touch it for 24 hours. You have about 40 minutes working time before it starts to gel and you can clean any excess off with isopropanol or brake cleaner on a rag while it’s still liquidy.

Possibly have a word with Graham Weigh. He was the UK agent for Duralinox BITD and repaired them when necessary so may be able to help.

I’d do what 69 said but in addition I think I’d consider a small drilled taped hole after it’s clamped. Then if it comes loose it won’t separate. I’d probably look the threaded pin in place with 9323. It should work, I think. I’d ride it.

Back