Mavic Crossmax UST wheel / tyre help

I use the Crank Bros Speedier lever. It's decent, but your hand will be sore after you're done. I also picked up a pair of cheap plastic ratcheting clamp pliers to pinch the tire on the opposite side of the rim from where I'm working the lever - it stops the bead from coming off on that end as the lever pulls it on.

I use the Crank Bros Speedier lever. It's decent, but your hand will be sore after you're done. I also picked up a pair of cheap plastic ratcheting clamp pliers to pinch the tire on the opposite side of the rim from where I'm working the lever - it stops the bead from coming off on that end as the lever pulls it on.
Thanks
There’s not much info available on Hutchinson Michelin Vittoria nor Mavic’s sites about UST compatibility - the tyres are all described as ‘tubeless ready’.
So no idea which ones will fit easily as UST specific are said to.
I can’t be asked to flaff around with all sorts of sealants tapes and trial and error or splash out £70 at a bike shop
I wrote to mavic and Hutchinson about compatibility - as it seems, judging by what I’ve read, UST specific tyres on the Mavic UST rims are a lot easier to fit than general tubeless
So it seems as if I’ll be going for my usual pair of tyres and tubes and thanks for the tyre lever recommendations

Turned out to be easy peasy
I wrote to mavic
They responded promptly
Thank you for contacting Mavic.

Please note that we recommend the use of Hutchinson tubeless or tubeless ready tires. Any tubeless ready tire is compatible in theory as long as the manufacturer respects the ETRTO standard.

For further details, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Tiberiu
Mavic Customer Care
www.mavic.com

Bought a pair of Hutchinson Python II tubeless compatible
Eased them on in 2 minutes - the bead is squared and sits flush
Pumped up then deflated
Removed the valve core
Squirted in 30ml of Muc off sealant
Screwed valve core back
Turned the wheel a few times and pumped up
Done!

5 minutes and they were going to charge £35 for it

Thanks Mavic

Blooming them wheels are a pain to get almost any tyres to sit true on them. But when they do they are good wheels lol

High tyre pressures and force to make the sit a need well lol ..a good lite and fast wheel set if you have good true set

Blooming them wheels are a pain to get almost any tyres to sit true on them. But when they do they are good wheels lol

High tyre pressures and force to make the sit a need well lol ..a good lite and fast wheel set if you have good true set
Luckily mine were hardly used
They were on a scapin Marco sent me from Italy
I don’t think this bike had been ridden much at all - the seller (who Marco bought it off for me) said it was his late dads who bought it new but didn’t get much of a chance to ride it. Looking at the wheels they’re mint and with the tyres on they feel Great.

Hutchison made the Mavic branded crossmax tyres and Michelin were also involved in the creation of the UST standard so I’m assuming Michelin tubeless would also suit

Just for future reference for anyone
The UST valves in my older wheels didn’t have a removable core
They were older ones - look almost exactly like the new ones but with a squared off base

The new ones (post 2013) are almost identical but have a rounded base and come with fittings for asymmetrical rims which some road wheels have

The new ones fit perfectly as the old versions and the core can be screwed off for easy injecting

Here is the old one with square base
IMG_2595.jpeg

The new ones are available on Amazon for £8.99
IMG_2598.png
And fitted
IMG_2593.jpeg

I've fitted Schwalbe Rocket Ron TR to my Crossmax SLR - seems fine

Ditto. I've always fitted tubed and fold-up Kevlar bead from Schwalbe, Conti, or Michelin.

To say I didn't swear and didn't use vegetable oil lube would be wrong of me though. :LOL:

Back