Tony Smith - Doncaster

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Was going to split these wheels for the hubs and noticed the wheel builders sticker on it for Tony Smith of Doncaster. Thought I’d investigate further before I do split them. The only reference I’ve found online is in an EBay listing which suggests they may be from H O Smith of Doncaster who sold SBDU bikes, nothing else to back this up. The wheels came off a Rick Powell I sold ages ago so there could be a connection?

Anyway Mavic hubs on 32h with eyelets Mavic Argent 10 sprint rims. Nice set of wheels but I don’t want the hassle of tubs so was going to use the hubs for something else.

Anyone know any more history of this builder?

EC650D39-6E61-4D8C-9794-7E49B7F03308.jpeg D8B42B30-B9A6-419A-8EFE-5CBFFC4BD0CA.jpeg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Tony Smith Raleigh SBDU 853 is for sale on eBay, looking really nice and in superb condition..
View attachment 669288View attachment 669289
I think that’s the listing where I saw the Tony Smith reference - lovely bike.

I can’t find it now but I read either on another eBay listing or another forum at the end of a Google search that Tony Smith “was a friend” of Gerald O’Donovan.

I’ll leave the wheels built for now - I guess they were only built by him once!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a simalar bike but not in half the condition as this one.

Not sure if the frame material though.

Same graphics though! Screenshot_20221008-232536.png

Last edited:
Back