Wanted SR Custom 52/42 replacement with smaller rings or smaller 118mm inner. Poss Swap?

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I bought a bike for my best friend as its her 50th birthday later this year, aaaaand, it turns out she doesn't like blue!😔 Having bought/acquired her last 5/6 bikes over the last 20 years you'd think I should have known this, I think in order it was black (GT Palomar.lol)/purple/white/black and then red.

So, to make the bike more saleable gearing wise I would like to replace the SR Custom which has the 118mm BCD (52/42) and sell it/swap it for something in a similar mould/style but smaller chainrings or the option to fit smaller rings at not to hefty a cost. Might consider a single ring set up, the freewheel is an Atom 13-28 5 speed for what its worth. oh and it needs to fit on the same BB axle as I really don't want to pull it and it's nice and smooth anyway.

I suppose easiest would be to have a smaller ring but would want it to be in excellent condition and not sure if something like a 36T would be feasible or exists, a 38T would do though.
Whatcha got? SR 118 52 42.jpg

Not exactly sure what you are after, but I have a square taper Shimano 105 170mm crank with 48/38 rings. I have a near matching, but not identical LH crank. Not sure of BCD; I think it is 130 but can check if you wish. Any use to you?

Not exactly sure what you are after, but I have a square taper Shimano 105 170mm crank with 48/38 rings. I have a near matching, but not identical LH crank. Not sure of BCD; I think it is 130 but can check if you wish. Any use to you?
thanks for reply
What era is it, after something shiny and retro-ish as per the SR, I don't particularly want to go down the modern crank route. Anything from the 80s/90s with 110 BCD would be perfect as the chainring choice opens up somewhat.
If you can sort out a photo and a price I'll give it consideration but think it might not be what I'm loking for.

thanks for reply
What era is it, after something shiny and retro-ish as per the SR, I don't particularly want to go down the modern crank route. Anything from the 80s/90s with 110 BCD would be perfect as the chainring choice opens up somewhat.
If you can sort out a photo and a price I'll give it consideration but think it might not be what I'm loking for.
Don't know if you're still looking but I have 2 inner chainrings that fit Sakae SR Apex 5 (197:cool:. Their BCD is 118mm. One has 36t and the other 40t; both are aluminium and in very good condition. I could send photos if appropriate.
Any good and what do you think each is worth?

Don't know if you're still looking but I have 2 inner chainrings that fit Sakae SR Apex 5 (197:cool:. Their BCD is 118mm. One has 36t and the other 40t; both are aluminium and in very good condition. I could send photos if appropriate.
Any good and what do you think each is worth?
thanks for the offer, I'd potentially interested in the 36T but as to value, no idea.
I'd resigned myself to selling it as it is tbh, not sure if it's going to enhance the ability to sell it so don't want to spend a heap of cash fr no gain

Back