Specialized m4 colours

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just picked up a so called m4 s-works hardtail

The problem is I can't seem to find the colour. It seems m4 sworks were made 2000, 01 and 02, and I think it's a 2001 because of the seat stays and what decals are left

But unsure whether it's an s works or another specialized model.

Does anyone have a catalogue? Or know what colours they did? Frame is anodised black... Can grab pics tomorrow is needed

Thanks

Pics would help a lot.
Why do you say "so called s-works"? Are there any S-Works decals left on it at all?

There are some decals left, sworks on headtube, underside of downtube, and m4 on the top tube, and but it's the fact that most are yellow (2000) red (2001) red/white (2002) unless there was a limited release of the black or it is in fact a different model.

Will see of I've got a pic, if not I'll take some tomorrow

I've actually since found 1 other. It was a completed sale on ebay... So I suppose now its time to find some new decals

20210425_075446.jpg

Great frames.Bought a black ano M5 Sworks frame,now resprayed in team red.I think that's an '00 frame.That's the year they put a stripe along the top of the down tube.Looks better without it IMO.Black ano was a standard option for a 2000 model after team red.Yellow was a standard option for '99.Think they also did an M4 in Gulf colours.
Decals are a bit of a problem I've found,searched high and low for a long time.Gil at Retrodecals is always worth a try,very helpful and generally the first port of call for most on here.
I got my 05 decals from Ian at dnfive graphics.Perfect reproductions,all sized to my requirements and very good value.Just preparing myself to fit them before clearcoat!
😬
Interested to see what you do with it!

Great frames.Bought a black ano M5 Sworks frame,now resprayed in team red.I think that's an '00 frame.That's the year they put a stripe along the top of the down tube.Looks better without it IMO.Black ano was a standard option for a 2000 model after team red.Yellow was a standard option for '99.Think they also did an M4 in Gulf colours.
Decals are a bit of a problem I've found,searched high and low for a long time.Gil at Retrodecals is always worth a try,very helpful and generally the first port of call for most on here.
I got my 05 decals from Ian at dnfive graphics.Perfect reproductions,all sized to my requirements and very good value.Just preparing myself to fit them before clearcoat!
😬
Interested to see what you do with it!
Ahh legend, that's what I wanted to know 👍

It's just I couldn't find any black ones, in the usual pic search places. Mostly red, red and white and yellow. Maybe they didn't make as many.. Or it wasn't a popular option.

I think I prefer red, but an m2... But the black looks good and the paint has held up very well.

Gil was my first point of call... He unfortunately didn't have anything. I can see plenty of 'm4' decals but none have the 'specific alloy manipulation' written underneath. And the chainstay ones are seeming hard to find.

And I think I agree... Looks better without the red stripe 👍

I reckon most people go for Team Red on an Sworks.Was going to get a 'Grabber Green' one in '97 but my mate (who was ordering it) wasn't having any of it n talked me round to red.Pleased I listened to him now!
The black ano ones suffered from decal loss,weren't lacquered over like the others.And possibly the texture of the ano not so good for adhesion?They offered it again a couple of years later for M5 frames,the one I got had knack all decals left.Heard people complain it wears too easily but seems tough enough to me,just not as thick as paint.
If you can find someone who has a frame with decent decals (more likely a non-ano frame!) who'll be willing to take some decent pics for you,that'll probably save you a lot of hassle.
Didn't have any luck with that myself.Posted a wanted add,contacted owners through here and ebay but I couldn't find anyone with the right frame as an example.If you can get a good,clear pic of the decals you need it should be possible to reproduce them.The M4/chainstay/metal matrix decals should be the same for a few Stumpjumper models.
Ian at dnfive has only just produced the M5 decal I needed,total stroke of luck for me,seemed interested in expanding his range.
Just had a look,I've got an '00 Sworks FSR,the M4 badge is more stretched and it doesn't have that chainstay decal but the MM decal should be the same. I can send you a pic if you like?

Back