Specialized Hardrock

r-ch

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
After searching around for a while, I came across this Specialized Hardrock on FB marketplace and grabbed it. It appears to be mostly original other than the seat and a few other bits. I'm not sure of the year, perhaps someone could help me out here? The drivetrain needs some work, I had the pleasure of the chain coming off on London Bridge (of all places) whilst cycling it home. The plan is to initially deep clean and then go about converting to a gravel/tourer bike! Any tips welcome.

IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    961.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 9
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's a 1997 model: 'Specialized' logo on the down tube rather than the top tube. A good, tough frame for loaded touring I should imagine. With some tender loving care, and perhaps some well chosen upgrades, you could get a lot of comfy and enjoyable riding out of that.

Made a bit of progress on the Hardrock - new tyres & tubes, new rear rim and chainset - microshift advent X 1x10, bucklos crankset, cruiser swept back handlebars & a new WTB saddle! The new rear rim was required to accommodate the larger cassette which was not something I had anticipated.

The next plans are upgrade to V-brakes, find a nicer crankset, thinking of swapping out to riser handlebars and looking to get a front rack that attaches to brake posts (ordered one from eBay but the fit was so off and would have needed to bend the thing to get it to fit). Thinking of adding a splash of colour but not sure what is going to go with the red - maybe some yellow cable housing but not decided (suggestions welcome!)

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-09 at 14.56.53 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-09 at 14.56.54.jpeg

Back