Shimano 600 DT shifter feels 'heavy'

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Just putting a bike together and having what I think is an issue with my front mech shifter. It's a Shimano 600 SL-6400 and doesn't feel particularly user friendly. It's quite stiff when pulling it down to shift up to the outer ring.

I've mounted it according to the instructions but to no avail. Any pointers?!

Re:

Apologies if you know this, but the left shifter is spring loaded so the spring counters against the front mech spring and makes shifting real light action.
When the shifter has no cable attached, it points backwards and towards the floor. When you cable everything up, the pull of the front mech pulls the lever into the normal resting position.
If yours isn't set up like that, that might be part of your problem.
Hope that reads ok

Re: Re:

pigman":24vjbyu3 said:
Apologies if you know this, but the left shifter is spring loaded so the spring counters against the front mech spring and makes shifting real light action.
When the shifter has no cable attached, it points backwards and towards the floor. When you cable everything up, the pull of the front mech pulls the lever into the normal resting position.
Hope that reads ok
Thanks, will take a look later today and report back!

Re: Re:

pigman":1y6f147n said:
Hope that reads ok
I think this has done it - before when I was installing it, there was no spring tension on the front mech lever, but there is now and changing between rings seems ok. Hoepfuly get the bike finished over the weekend and take it for a spin on the road! Ta

Back