Science Museum

BlackCat

BoTM Winner
Fat Chance Fan
So.. was in the Science Museum in South Kensington today, the less said of which the better.. but whilst I was trying to survive this experience I had a vague recollection that they once had Condor on display there..

.. and it’s still there.. still with the cables pulled out of shape on the top tube and a nasty scuff, probably from whatever hamfisted trog that set the display up decades ago.. oh, and full NOS XTR..

Pretty random build apart from that though.. the m730 seat post, two Smokes, Campag rims..

Anyway.. here you go: 0C640D62-8257-4972-B7BF-0D8B670E986C.jpeg FC225CC5-A40E-42E5-BFCB-C2FBAA36A0BD.jpeg

Yep.. it’s in a section entitled (something like) “the making of modern life”.. which is a huge room with stuff like looms, scissors and Anglepoises etc at one end, through various forms of ever advancing technology, cars, aircraft etc.. until the far end of the room, when the zenith of human technology was achieved (in 1993, according to the label, before you ask).. with.. the mountain bike..

Yep.. it’s in a section entitled (something like) “the making of modern life”.. which is a huge room with stuff like looms, scissors and Anglepoises etc at one end, through various forms of ever advancing technology, cars, aircraft etc.. until the far end of the room, when the zenith of human technology was achieved (in 1993, according to the label, before you ask).. with.. the mountain bike..
Ah right, makes better sense now. I'm gathering its no a good Sunday day out? Science museums here in Denmark are largely a letdown but I honestly think the presence of a mediocre mtb would heighten the place

Ah right, makes better sense now. I'm gathering its no a good Sunday day out? Science museums here in Denmark are largely a letdown but I honestly think the presence of a mediocre mtb would heighten the place
Well, it was a good day out for my 8 yr old.. and if I was alone and had a couple of hours there, I bet I could have a good time too. Tons of interesting stuff… but with a child, you get dragged past all the stuff you want to see (say the phenomenal watch exhibition - with originals from everyone from Tompian, Harrison, Mudge through to George Daniels and Roger Smith) and towards random stuff that.. well.. is less interesting for me.

I think it’s a bit harsh to describe a hand built Condor as mediocre 😊

Well, it was a good day out for my 8 yr old.. and if I was alone and had a couple of hours there, I bet I could have a good time too. Tons of interesting stuff… but with a child, you get dragged past all the stuff you want to see (say the phenomenal watch exhibition - with originals from everyone from Tompian, Harrison, Mudge through to George Daniels and Roger Smith) and towards random stuff that.. well.. is less interesting for me.

I think it’s a bit harsh to describe a hand built Condor as mediocre 😊
I'm just kidding around. Glad you and the younging had a good time out and yes, it is indeed a mighty fine specimen

Bank Holiday weekend in the Science Museum... at least you have bragging rights now.

Is that a Raleigh Chopper in the penultimate position? Having had a vague memory of having been there as well I googled it and came up with this 'Science Museum (collection) page about 'iconic objects of scientific achievement and human ingenuity' under the heading 'The Bicycle Tour'.
https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/gallery/the-bicycle-tour/museum/science-museum

It looks a bit strange to me, mostly British, two Moultons, a Dalek and one mountain bike made by Arrow Spyce. What would others think should be on the list?

Yep, the Chopper is there too. And at least two Daleks.

There is also a collection of bikes on the entry lobby roof.. I barely registered them this time round, given my prevailing stress levels, but if I recall correctly, they have a Boardman-era carbon Lotus mountain bike, which is pretty iconic and they certainly used to have a full titanium Dynatech frameset from the all-conquering Raleigh era. Didn’t get to see it though.

Should’ve had a Dogs Bolx imho.. but that would undoubtedly upset some uppity parents.. and a Pace RC100/200.

Manchester science museum has an acheive below it with lots of amazing things that would otherwise be in the bin. It's almost more interesting than the actual museum, but the public bit does contain steam engines and airplanes sooooooooo.

Back