Scapin Grand Prix RS 1997

radair_fr

Dirt Disciple
hi,

Happy owner of a 1997 Scapin Grand Prix RS for years, I've done everything with this bike : races around the Church square, endurance races in the Alps... used as commuter with mudguards and downtube shifters those last years.

CIMG2056.JPG

WP_20150614_18_01_37_Pro.jpg
Scapin Catalog.png

After all those years of racing, training, bad parking and falls there were scratches everywhere and a strong envy to change it.

Rather than changing it for a new frame, I've decided to give it a second life this summer.

Attachments

• CIMG2056.JPG
    CIMG2056.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 7
Frame : Scapin with Columbus Brain tubing
Groupset : Mostly Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Wheels : Shimano Dura Ace hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro CERAMIC

This summer bike was completly dissasembled and brought to a specialized painting workshop.
Not really retro paint with this electric candy blue !

IMG_6112.JPG
IMG_6116.JPG
20220915_154154845_iOS.jpg

in the mid 90's Scapin was famous for their steel MTB hardtails range and it had a strange collateral effect on their road bikes => BB is BSC threaded !

Here the overview of this "Neo-retro" build.

Was in hurry to test it after all those months, so finish the build with some temporary components.

Saddly the original 6600 shifters were broken and i did not want to put back the SL7400 down tube ones, so use some chinese stuff "MicroNew" - which are pretty good inded. Even if derailleur ratio is pre 11s stuff, the brake ratio of the lever is set for new Shimano brakes >= 5700. My DA 7403 & 7700 were not performing well at all so replace with R7000 i had in stock.

I switched also the originally installed DA chainset for a compact R600 as i'm far less powerfull than a few years ago.

Currently with this setup bike is 9.4Kg

Back