Santa Cruz Blur suspension query

Teggers

Old School Hero
I'm hoping someone can help me as the only response I received from Santa Cruz tech support was "we're no longer supporting that model"

Second ride out on my Blur LT build I managed to snap a pivot pin (the one that attaches the shock to the VPP pivot). There are 2 packs of parts that might fit. The bike has a "ti link" option but I cannot seem to find anywhere information about which I have and the parts packs vary in a few ways.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out? It's doing my nut as my dream build bike is currently gathering dust in my garage after 2 rides.

I am currently building a Santa Cruz '05 Blur XC. And sent a picture to Santa Cruz and asked them if mine was a Ti link and was told it was. It looks to be the same as yours but I would verify with Santa Cruz. Upload a closeup of the link and they should be able to tell you. If not, you could up load a picture here with a ruler next to it and I could probably tell, but I can't be sure based on the the pictures in your build. But I'm pretty sure it is a Ti link.

Thanks dude. Much appreciated. I ordered a propack for the ti links. The right part came but now my slight confusion is that the caps sit slightly proud of the bearings. I know the bearings are sealed but all the other links have caps that cover them. The bolts are tightened to tolerances but the caps sit as per below pic. (Rear shock mount) it's as if the black caps are slightly too long on the inserts. I have a spare though so may try trimming it back a little.

Attachments

• IMG_09052021_114605_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg
    IMG_09052021_114605_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks dude. Much appreciated. I ordered a propack for the ti links. The right part came but now my slight confusion is that the caps sit slightly proud of the bearings. I know the bearings are sealed but all the other links have caps that cover them. The bolts are tightened to tolerances but the caps sit as per below pic. (Rear shock mount) it's as if the black caps are slightly too long on the inserts. I have a spare though so may try trimming it back a little.

If I am reading the response correctly, you are wondering if the bearing on the top have end caps. The answer is for a '05 Blur XC is no. And I suspect your Blur LT would be the same. In SC's archive it looks like the Blur XC/LT have some type of end cap, but if you look at the blow up for the XC (https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bike/blur/xc-1) there is no end cap

Not sure how my reply got so screwed up. But I'll try again.

f I am reading the response correctly, you are wondering if the bearing on the top have end caps. The answer is for a '05 Blur XC is no. And I suspect maybe for your Blur LT would be the same. In SC's archive it looks like the Blur XC/LT have some type of end cap, but if you look at the blow up for the XC (https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bike/blur/xc-1) there is no end cap.My frame pivot looks just like your, except the seal on the bearing is red. :^) I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Haha! Thanks mate! The top ones are OK (blue as they were an aftermarket kit) it's the lower ones - the shock mount ones that have the back caps in the pic. They're the right caps from the actual SC pack and there was one included when I bought my bike (the other side had a washer...)

The bolts go through them and they are a top hat style. My confusion is why they stick out so far and have an obvious gap, almost as if the insert bit is too long.

duh ... should have looked at the blowup picture. Is the end caps flush on the pivot axle on both side? If so that might imply the axle is too long. Other than that, the two other things that comes to mind is the bolt might be too long and is bottoming out too soon. Have you compared the length of both bolts? But if you got the propack then you got new bolts and a new axle, so that probably is not the problem. Not sure what to suggest beyond that. Good luck.

It's not the axle - that's just shorter than the distance from bearing edges. The bolts also are fine. It's the black top hat caps. The insert is slightly too deep for the recess. They also sit on the inner ring of the bearing. It's as if they are manufactured too long. I've sent an enquiry to SC technical and I'll try machining (see: filing as I don't happen to have a cc machine or later. Yet.) my spare and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for your help and chats. It helps me to work my way through it too.

Back