RoRo/RaRa - or Smoke/Dart for retro MTB (insert your own idea's)

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
Best "new" tyres for a retro build.
Leaning towards the Pana Smoke Dart but Vittorrio also has nice tyres.
What you reckon.

You going to ride it or look at it?

If riding then I'd go for conti cross kings, looks are ok and a different class in terms of grip and rolling resistance than smoke/darts

Yep, I'm going to ride it (and fall off it) so I have to look good doing it :LOL:
But yeah, for riding it on non trails as I have about zero MTB trails in my vicinity.
So gravel dirt an an occasional ride through the actual forest when no one is watching (forbidden, because you know cycling is bad for nature)

I replaced my Conti Race Kings with Vee Tire Mission MPC (because they were torn). They are both very similar in terms of grip and rolling resistance. I don't think the weight was far apart either. I like the look of both very much. If it's more about asphalt and forest roads, I can also recommend the Schwalbe Billy Bonkers.
threema-20220813-181231025_1.jpg IMG_20220922_224039_1.jpg IMG_20210503_215205.jpg

Found a wheelset for my (now) electric Cannondale, so the wheelset on that will go on the Marin.
It has Maxis DTH on them so I'll ride those, they are like the Bonkers so not alot of grip.
Like the Bonkers, I put them on the Cannondale I'm building for the son of a good friend.
Tyres on the "new" wheelset are still fairly new so I guess not needing tyres for a bit.
Michelin Country are better for the Ebike I reckon.

26inch mtb wielen set 7.png

26inch mtb wielen set 8.png
Ebike Cannondale.jpg

Might be worth throwing the Panaracer Gravelking SK into the mix here for future searches. Light, folding, retro-friendly width and offer decent grip on a variety of surfaces.

Panaracer also make the Comet Hardpack in a 26" which is an excellent tyre but I'm not sure whether it's produced anymore (or just subject to production delays?)

I've just fitted a set of Billy Bonkers (in the older 26 x 2.1 folding variant) to one of my bikes and they have exceeded expectations (I was a little skeptical as they're a very popular tyre but wasn't sure whether there was much substance to them other than they look sweet). Can confirm - they ride sweet too 👍

PC271406.jpg

Well turns out my frame is cracked, so there will be no build since I have no frame.
I do know the Gravelkings though albeit in the bigger format on my Carbolite.

Really nice tyres.

bosboomsml.png

Back