Rocky Mountain Vertex frame and fork 1992 20"

d_douglas

Retro Guru
I have owned this frame since new. It has travelled with me, I love it, but alas, I have fallen for a 29er and this just has to go.

It is a 20" frame made of Tange Prestige Concept steel, 1 1/8th steerer, 135mm dropouts, fender eyelets. I rode it a lot when I first got it, then got into road riding and it has not been ridden much over the past 15 years. I have always had it around when I decided to jump on a muddy trail and it has never let me down. I have had it built up with the original XT/Ritchey group, then variously with all kinds of fancy stuff since. The last incarnation was an 8spd XT/XTR group and XTR disc brakes. I have had Judy XC forks up to a Fox Float F80 on there as well - if the travel is 80mm or less, this bike ran very nicely with a suspension fork too.

Yes, you read correctly - disc brakes. I had Chris Dekerf (who thinks he might've welded this frame himself) add a disc tab to the frame in 2007. I used Avid BB7s for years until I tried out a set of hydros in 2012. I left the cantilever posts on there for some foolish reason, but there you go, it is still retro!

Condition: I thought it was pretty great condition for the longest time, but when actually stripping it down, I see that it is pretty well used. No dents or cracks, but nasty chainsuck from about 15 years ago that I sprayed over with a very near match of spraypaint. Chris said it was ugly, but safe. The HT looks rusty, but it is not. It is just a coating of grease and the usual oxidation of steel inside the tube. The paint is full of touchups, and chips (a few to metal since I have had it stored in a box, unfortunately, but still quite clean. It is a perfect candidate for an amazing restoration, but can be ridden as is.

I once thought this was worth 225+GBP, but now set more reasonable expectations. I am asking 140GBP + shipping from Victoria, Canada. I am open to reasonable offers, but I am pretty convinced that this is a reasonable price.

I have a black Chris King headset that I will include for 35GBP extra and a rigid Dimension disc only non-suspension corrected fork that I can add for 20GBP as well. The headset is a king - not much more to say. The fork is basic and heavy, but was a riot to ride with the frame, as it replicated the original geometry. I fit 2.1" Panaracer Fire XC tires in there with adequate clearance. They will not take fat tires.

I also have an original set of RM Blizzard decals from 20 years ago that I have carried all this time. They have been stored in a dry, dark place, but I am not sure if they'd even stick anymore - if you want them with the frame, they're yours in case you want to repaint. They are two tone blue, I believe (when Blzzards were white)

Please feel free to ask questions as I will try to answer. I have posted images of it here before and swore I would never sell it, but hey, never say never. I am tempted to make it a SS bike, but my wife wants it gone, and I can't say that I blame her ;). For reference the full bike build is not available, that is just for smiles :)

Attachments

• Rocky full side.jpg
    Rocky full side.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 629
  • Rocky BB shell.jpg
    Rocky BB shell.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 629
  • Rocky chainstay.jpg
    Rocky chainstay.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 629
  • Rocky headtube.jpg
    Rocky headtube.jpg