Road bike sizing.

Mark65

Retro Guru
Hi All,
I currently have a 98 Marin Eldridge Grade but possibly being older I find it a bit cramped and was thinking of a road bike.
Many years ago I had a Rossin frame with a chorus groupset I got from a shop in Coppul, it may have been part of Deeside Cycles I'm not sure but can't remember it's size, I'm not a fan of alloy bikes but have seen the Graham Weigh 531 from VCR Cycles in Liverpool.
It's a 59cm seat tube which is 22.5 inch I believe, with my 31 inside leg and 5"10 height I'm wondering will it be too big? I just wanted to see before I ask if they might take the Marin in px.
Any advice please,
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, I'm 6 2 and my ideal seat tube is 24 1/2" so I think this could be for you. Is VCR close enough for you to visit and try the Graham Weigh for fit and ask about a part exchange? Good luck with finding the right bike for you.

Hi, thanks, grantoury your calc gives me a 20 inch seat tube, Curzons246 the bike is in Liverpool so is a bit of a drive.
I was using a high end spin bike but I can't get the Marin's seat any further back and that makes me feel pushed forward.
I might have a look or hang fire for a 20-21 inch or nip into a bike shop and throw a leg over the 22 or as close as, I always liked the Graham Weigh bikes back then but they were to expensive.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi again, it looks like the size might be fine, glory days from swinnerton cycles shows it should be good, I've enquired if they would consider a px.

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_211350.jpg
    IMG_20220703_211350.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi, thanks, grantoury your calc gives me a 20 inch seat tube, Curzons246 the bike is in Liverpool so is a bit of a drive.
I was using a high end spin bike but I can't get the Marin's seat any further back and that makes me feel pushed forward.
I might have a look or hang fire for a 20-21 inch or nip into a bike shop and throw a leg over the 22 or as close as, I always liked the Graham Weigh bikes back then but they were to expensive.
Thanks again
I know the feeling, I purchased my Graham Weigh this time last year. For a 531 competion it was expensive but inline with the elite frame builders ( Mike Kowal built mine ) all worth it though it rides like the wind.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm 6ft2 and I find that a 58cm TT frame fits me quite well (I do use a riser stem, but spend a lot of the time in the drops).
56TT will probably fit you, but you might want to play around with stem length & shape.

Back