Returning to mountain bikes after 10 years away.

Yeah you're right. Back in the day whatever bike we had we did everything and anything on it and in most cases our only bike! :O I've built a few all rounders with 100 - 125mm forks from 2000-2011 with fairly traditional geo 69/70/71 degree head, fairly short CS 415-425 trying to get the Goldilocks model. All 26. I do like the big wheels now, so interested in ideas for some with bigger wheels and ideally steel frame.
Might be worth looking at an older Cotic Solaris?

oval rings are more of a side line to the main stream so don't fret that one, they've been around for ever. currently MTB is teeny granny size ring up front with 1 million rings going from 9 to 400 tooth, it's the main reason 29 won :).
don't forget you have to have a dropper and you must run tubeless otherwise you'll never ride down that hill.

boost, because "******* wide" didn't pass the test group.
a few things to watch for
compliance - wet noodle
modern geometry - cruiser with suspension
elevated - we can't get it to work without a work around
stiffened - we can't get it to work without a work around
Eagle - give me all your money
E-bike - up hill is hard work.

enjoy, try not to let it get to you, buy a bike, ride it, that's all there is to it.
I really thought the oval Chainrings were new. Must not have been paying enough attention.
I have also learn't that the dropper post is a lot older than I thought.
Screenshot_20230928_222356.jpg

Yeah, mid 80s to start of the 90s, oval kicked off (probably again?) with Oval, actually they were not round/not oval but shape profiled Ovaltech (Sugino/SR/Suntour) BioPace (Shimano).

Yeah, mid 80s to start of the 90s, oval kicked off (probably again?) with Oval, actually they were not round/not oval but shape profiled Ovaltech (Sugino/SR/Suntour) BioPace (Shimano).
mainly in the road world though, so I think we can forgive the OP on this one. :) fecking roadies. :)

Yeah but MTBs where just road bikes that someone thought needed comfy wider tyres and flat handlebars and so needed to change the brakes from callipers to U-Brakes so they would fit.

Actually all Shimano groupsets on MTB had BioPace as default in the Deore/XT-II era, turn of the 90s you couldn't pick up a shite bike 200GS/Exage without BioPace.*
Can't remember about Suntour if it was the default, would take three secs to look it up.

*Marketing needed this so they could add a sticker next to the 7speed SIS/21 gears and STI ones.

... always blame the roadies, it is always their fault.

Back