Retrobike National MTB Series info ?

Explosif Phil

Old School Hero
Happy NYE everybody. I was looking at the Retrobike National MTB Series and I am keen to enter the Surrey Hills round and possibly the Forest of Dean round too as they are not far from where I live. How do I get more info about entry costs, times, what to expect etc. I have searched the forum and Google but can't find it.

Out of interest has anyone else decided if they are taking part and which rounds you will be racing?

The series is far more laid back than that. Just turn up!

OF course, the primary stipulations are that you wear a helmet, ride a bike and have fun! that's pretty much it.

Costs are not published as there aren't any. Needless to say you need to get yourself there and have some cash on you for lunch stop(many rides have a planned pub food/cafe stop), so,10-20 quid? or bring some food with you, liquid too.
Also, the series is for the ride laid out and organised on that particular day, no race or time trial involved. No body can beat the rider at the front as you need them to guide everyone round :)

What to expect? Turn up at the time suggested and just blend in. Get yourself and bike ready to roll and mingle.
Head for a group of people with bikes lent up against trees and benches, it's probably them you are looking for!
As the series is quite well established now you will notice some riders are on first name terms but some riders present won't have met anybody, yet will be made to feel welcome all the same.

It is a odd phenomenon that you can find yourself along side another rider chatting about almost anything as you trundle along a trail as though you are old pals. Afterwards in the carpark as we all depart home you may shake the same hand and ask "I never did ask you name"........

It does happen. ;)

Yep, as Marc said, just roll up and mix in.........great, relaxed days chatting with like minded middle aged blokes, most of us bearded and a bit porky, but surprisingly agile on two wheels........after you have come along and had a day riding you will be glad you made the effort........

I help organise and coordinate the series, but Marc sums it up nicely. Retrobike National Series rides are more about the social side of the forum with a bit of biking thrown in.
Definitely no racing unless you count the usual "no I'm slower than you" competition...

Announcement threads usually go up about 4 to 6 weeks prior to each round giving more details on what to expect, and rather importantly where to meet up to start.

Have a look at the 'Announcement' and 'Aftermath' threads for previous rides for a good indication of what RB rides are all about.
They can be found in the Rides, Meets, Events and Races sub forum here: --> viewforum.php?f=5

Come on there is great competition...
Bike of the Ride
Hill Climb challenge
Crash of the ride
Mechanical of the ride
Etc....

... Beer zombie award, most colourful bike, dirty boy award, potty mouth warning, technical infringements, who stole Dave's sausage? etc. etc...

Cheers guys, exactly what I wanted to know. Well you count me in for the Surrey Hills round and probably the following round at Forest of Dean.

:cool:

Back