Replacement Tubular Tyres for 27x1 1/4 wheels

daveweim

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked a multitude of times but I'm struggling to find the answer.

I recently acquired a set of 27x1 1/4 Wolber Super Champion rims with Campag Record hubs that are fitted with tubular tyres that will eventually go on my other half's Carlton Courette mixte. Can anyone point me in the direction of where, if indeed I still can, buy tubs that will fit these wheels? I assume I can't use clinchers?

Thanks a lot.

Clinchers wont fit a tubular rim.

I was under the illusion, I could be wrong, that tubs were 700c?

Re:

Sorry, I've v little experience with tubs. Are you saying that any tub being 700c should fit that rim?

In a word - yes! Tubs were always 700c and it is the industry standard. However, there may be some 650c tubs out there but they are quite rare and used on triathlon bikes in the early days. If you've never used or fitted tubulars before have a good internet trawl to ensure you know how to fit them. It's not at all difficult but an understanding of the process could save you time - and money!

If there's any really old cement on the rims then it's a good idea to get the worst of it off before fitting new tyres. Never ride tubulars without proper rim cement or tubular sticky tape on the rim - they'll roll off!

Re:

Thanks for the info and the advice :)

The next question is: can anyone recommend a set of decent tubs? They will be used for commuting and some longer rides so something half decent but not top of the range would be ideal

If you are going to commute on them I'd suggest Conti Sprinter Gatorskins.

There again I'd also prefer a different set of wheels for commuting...with tough clinchers on them.

If memory serves Wolber Super Champion came as clinchers? Mind you it's going back a few years lol

Midlife":3dg2p7q9 said:
If memory serves Wolber Super Champion came as clinchers? Mind you it's going back a few years lol

Wolber bought Super Champion and for a while kept the name on everything, so there are both tubulars and clinchers out there.

And no, my memory is not better, I had to check on Velobase :LOL:

The manufacturers of tubulars don’t exactly make it clear either. Some call them 700c tubulars, some call them 27”, some call them 28”, when they all refer to the same fricking size. Just depends who you buy them off. They’re all the same size unless specifically the smaller 650 or 24”. Just pick your width.

Back