Reparing a chipped Ceramic coated mavic... Any suggestions?

superdan1984

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, so need to fix a mavic 121 ceramic that's been chipped as no one seems to have one i can buy after extensive asking about, does anyone have anysuggestions on what might be good to use to fill and fix a chip?

ceramic coating is baked at a nice and toast few hundred degrees (just shy of aluminium heat treating temperature in fact, which is lucky really). I don't know of anyway to repair this on a cost effective basis (to the point that I don't know anybody who has even done it).

sorry, not the news you want really.

ceramic coating is baked at a nice and toast few hundred degrees (just shy of aluminium heat treating temperature in fact, which is lucky really). I don't know of anyway to repair this on a cost effective basis (to the point that I don't know anybody who has even done it).

Ditto.

Pretty much when they've gone, they've gone. Perhaps a heat proof epoxy resin could fill in the worse pits and stop brake judder?

I've thought the other way in the past to take the remaining ceramic off, but realised that would be a horrible dusty long winded process with not much to gain in real terms.

it's about 1 cm, so quite big. I'm guessing as soon as i run it it'll just get bigger so i obviously want to stop that

Usually wears the pads.

A friend filled some of his chips, though I have a feeling they did not last as he got rid in the end. Will ask next time I see him.

Thank you for the reply anyway, if you know anyone with a ceramic 121 who wants to sell pls let me know

Ditto.

Pretty much when they've gone, they've gone. Perhaps a heat proof epoxy resin could fill in the worse pits and stop brake judder?

I've thought the other way in the past to take the remaining ceramic off, but realised that would be a horrible dusty long winded process with not much to gain in real terms.
Yeah there's only 1 chip on there, and have thought may just give it a crack anyway with some epoxy maybe. Thank you for the reply anyway, if you know anyone with a ceramic 121 who wants to sell pls let me know

Interesting to know if the chip is directly in line with a spoke hole? May be caused by excessive tensions in the wheel which means it may be on it's way out anyway.
Will keep an eye open for another rim but let us know if it's a 32 or a 36? Anything higher or lower you might be waiting a while, a long long while!
Long term you'll need a spare so good to set up a search on ebay including the description as they do come up. I'd say it's a pretty non repairable thing due to the tech and machinery/process to apply the coating. Small chips are common, big ones happen but really depends on whether it's something that is used regularly or just a hand full of rides of year? I'd say a ceramic is much more useful on the front than the back.
If it makes the brakes jump in use and you are thinking of applying epoxy then try some JB weld, the metal particles make it harder than regular epoxy and the friction coefficient differential will be less. Try applying thin layers to some test pieces first, It's horrible to smooth after it's set. The edge of your filling knife needs to be scrupulously clean to create a flat surface/edge. Clean the area a couple of times with either brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol before application and apply masking tape on the inner rim surface to avoid contamination.
Also imagine doing the same fix on your car and driving it like you stole it, ride accordingly👍.

Cheers for the ideas bud! It's in-between the spoke holes I think.
And for the rim either 32 or 36 I've got a pair of hugi's in both so neither is a problem. It's literally the last piece on the puzzle to building my JMC project.
Thanks again 🫡

Back