Repairing tubeless punctures. Err, how?

synchronicity

Senior Retro Guru
I might as well ask this now well in advance before the inevitable happens... 😐

I'm seeing some long skinny rubber plugs that come with a needle.

Yet others (Dynaplug?) look more like bullets with metal tips.
Now I'm really confused. WTF is going on? How do they work?
Can someone please explain it to me?🤔

Does one need to remove the tyre? I would have thought not.

All work on the same principle. Fill the hole with rubber to stop the leak. In combination, the sealant clogs the smaller gaps.
Dynaplug work great and are quick and easy to use, but are more expensive. Thin strips are cheaper but more of a faff.
Neither are foolproof. Dynaplug couldn’t handle pressure of road tubeless and blew out, but worked flawlessly on mates mtb tyre. That road tyre was patched from inside and has been perfect for two years since.

Both fitted with the tyre still in place, hopefully you stopped riding before breaking the tyre seal.

I've carried a kit in my touring pack for motorcycle riding for the past 10 years easy. sticky rubber strips with a tool to insert them. yes you can **** it up and have to go again, best advice is do it while there is still air in the tyre.
you screw and pull one tool through the hole to clear it and make the sides rough then you jam the tool with the rubber strip in all the way then pull it out leaving the rubber behind (this is the step most people get wrong, you need yank it not baby it out), then if you have sealant in the tyre you give it a wobble so the sealant helps the sticky rubber strip seal. then you cut of the bit sticking out with a sharp knife, reinflate to full pressure and ride away.

never used a dynaplug so can't comment there but the strips are dirt cheap and easy to use. saved me a few times on big rides (And a few times on short one's for that matter, blumin screws).

Back