Raleigh Mirage

slowcoach

Retro Newbie
Hi there, hope I've got this right, I want to upgrade my Raleigh Mirage, but am having trouble removing the rear cassette, it does not appear to be like any other I've seen. Any advice please.

Hi there, hope I've got this right, I want to upgrade my Raleigh Mirage, but am having trouble removing the rear cassette, it does not appear to be like any other I've seen. Any advice please.
If it's not a screw on 'block' as I call them, it may be an old ug cassette where the smallest sprocket threads onto the freehub. The usual way to remove is with two chainwhips.

It might be a suntour cassette, in which case you need 2 chain whips as the smallest cog (or smallest 2, depending on the model) act like a lock ring but don't have the lock ring fitting like most other cassettes. I think a mate had a mirage bitd, and I seem to recall it being suntour equipped.

Good luck. If you can post a close up photo of the hub and cassette/freewheel then it should be possible to say which one it is with a bit more certainty. I think they changed year on year. Think I've seen a 91 catalogue that suggests a Hyperglide 7 speed cassette but earlier ones will be different.

Latest posts

Back