Race/team bikes vs. off the shelf

H@l9000

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, does anyone know off hand of any current or historic sales of retired/prior year team/race bikes that I could use to get a general sense of how a team bike would compare value-wise to a similar off the shelf bike? I'm sure there's a lot of variability but every data point will help.

Thanks

You have got a lot of reading to do.
If you mean >97, evidence suggests that teams used stock, or 'shelf' kit, but then customised it to suit the riders.
Sure, there may have been some tinkering with strength, component choice etc...but nothing you can't civvy-replicate or homologation.

If i was you and, you mention value, buy whatever you want and build it for you. That way you will have what they had back in the day. Some frames and forks would only last one ride, kinda disposable with a van full of spares and a decent mechanic.

I dont believe there is an outlet as most works bikes would be kept by the riders or kept by the owners/team management.
However, some end up in circulation and can surface anywhere! Some threads on the site for such bikes. Get clicking.

For now...

And here...

Thanks for those links. This isn't about buying/building for myself. I'm trying to document and learn about a bike I have (check my recent posts on the Arrow Hardtail). The bike has been confirmed by S/N as a custom build for a sponsored racer in '95. I'm digging for race records (finding pretty much nothing so far) and other bike specific info, but also trying to figure out if this is a $500 bike or something that I should add to my home insurance policy.

Thanks again

I can't rememeber when it was enacted but UCI reg 1.3.006 requires all bikes to be purchasable by the general public within 12 months of it's use in a race. I seem to remember this was after Mr Obree and his washing machine so some time round 95-97 ish.

Some race bikes are worth a lot but it's almost impossible to really value them.
Bikes that belonged to top riders, that have won World Cups or World Championships or bikes that are famous and desirable prototypes have some value. (Btw that UCI rule applies only to road bikes, not MTB's)
The rest doesn't have a higher value than a regular bike, maybe a bit of a cool factor with the stickers, or a fancy custom paint job could bring in more money.
Have a look at my homepage for race bikes: www.dirty-sundays.com

There are also the Rocky Mountain 93 Altitude team bikes on here, both a USA and a UK one.
I have an 1991 version that belong to our UK lot.
Certainly can't really see any extra value in them, the 93 may have as it has a different paint job to the retail bike. Still cheap though.

There have been prototypes etc pop up and the Formula1, PACE, Lotus, Raleigh UK, Orange bikes etc
Most have been 'for the love of doing it' on here and I think most probably cost the owner more than it's saleable value.

If you're thinking money, you may try some of the vintage retro alumni groups.

Insurance doesn't care, at least mine didn't, but they did pay a fair replacement cost.

Thanks guys. Dirty Sundays, it sounds like you might have some old race records around.... If you have anything on the 95 NORBA season I'd love to chat offline.

I've talked to the builder and he shared one or two photos and the build sheet for the bike. I haven't had time to do much on the bike (toddler life!) But it's in good enough shape that it'll be an easy project aside from tracking down the correct left side profile billet crank (that was replaced with a non matching crank at some point).

I honestly don't have a good use for the bike, but i love projects and this one seems worthy.

Thanks guys. Dirty Sundays, it sounds like you might have some old race records around.... If you have anything on the 95 NORBA season I'd love to chat offline.

I've talked to the builder and he shared one or two photos and the build sheet for the bike. I haven't had time to do much on the bike (toddler life!) But it's in good enough shape that it'll be an easy project aside from tracking down the correct left side profile billet crank (that was replaced with a non matching crank at some point).

I honestly don't have a good use for the bike, but i love projects and this one seems worthy.
dirtysundaysbike@gmail.com

Back