Question: Opinion Difference between a Restoration MTB and a Resto Mod(?) MTB

89RingleAddict

Dirt Disciple
Is there a difference?

I’m looking at the beautiful restorations for the MTB of the Month thread …..

I’m big car guy, Petrol Head, whatever….
I totally know/understand how much time/effort/sweat/$$ goes into one of these to make a perfect, period correct restoration. Pebble Beach Concourse comes to mind.
IMO this ^^^ would be a ‘Full Restoration MTB’. In addition, ridden, I’m sure but not the owner’s ‘trail bike’ to get dirty/damaged/etc

Then the ‘Resto Mod’ MTB(I just made up) sure u Gurus have actual more accurate term to describe:
A 25+yr old…period correct…..rebuilt(not restored) MTB that is ridden weekly by owner. Now the ‘Mod’ thing comes from all the Aftermarket goodies available 20-30yrs ago. These ‘treasures’ are on said MTB that is a Rider/Period Correct Survivor.

IMO there is a difference.

Wondering if y’all have a different ‘classification’ between the two?
Or
Is Retro just Retro?

Thanks
Steven

In my mind, Resto-mod mixes old and new…
Catalogue build - everything as per the as sold spec
Retro - built with roughly the the correct era parts - probably what most of us did “BITD”. eg added bar ends, bouncy forks, shiny anodised bits, upgraded from 200GS to Deore LX etc as and when parts wore out/funds allowed.
Restomod - build with something fundamental changed - eg conversion to disc brakes.

This means that the middle category is quite broad. My current ‘98 Kilauea just slips out of Catalogue build as it has different saddle, but it’s the one I used on my ‘98 Kilauea. My ‘98 Ku, just keeps inside of Retro and not moving to Restomod (in my mind at least), has very modern transmission (2x10), 201x V-brakes, 100mm forks.

Not sure the bike world is quite ready for OEM Plus as the nature of bike components and relationship to the bike brand is very different to cars.

Ultimately, they’re all bikes and bikes are brilliant - what you build is up to you, and what you want to achieve with a particular build.

As one who has dipped toes into motorcycle and mountain bike restoration, so far I see a coupla categories ...

1. Super-rare collectibles. Typically frames hand built by the pioneers of the sport, or actual race bikes. That seems to come the closest to the OCD correct motorsports restoration thing. Don't imagine they get ridden much
2. Cherished production frames that weren't always specced from the factory with the best of the best components. Those might get period correct upgrades. Which was the original intent, idea being a young racer could start with a decent frame, and upgrade as she or he went along. Nostalgia.
3. Good old frames that are nice to ride, typically 80's to 90's steel frames. Those are often updated for daily use. Just as I might restore an old ST1100 to do an Iron Butt, so might someone restore an old Trek 930 to ride through South America (or to the grocery store, or to the dispensary....) Best tool for the job, given a certain budget. (Seems like that's how the term "resto-mod" is typically used in US media).

I'm mainly a #3 sorta guy, but I've discovered, to the chagrin of my wallet, that parts are collectible. I don't remember that being a thing with motorcycles, but it's definitely a thing with vintage mountain bikes. EG 90's US made anodized parts, and Lord knows anything Italian falls into that category. Cranks, hubs. Brakes (I already have a collection of those). Tires, astonishingly (a horrifying prospect in the motorcycle world; around here, they cook those suckas in the oven and presto! -- 30 years old, good as new!) Finding a frame that'll do, to hang those parts off of, is another thing altogether. I dunno that there's a better source of information in that department than this forum right here

Last edited:
Not read the above, but since 2009/10ish and lots of RestoMod happing then.
RestoMod(tm) is taking an old bike (retrobike frame) and sticking new stuff on it but maybe/probably adding disc tabs, wide bars, long suspension and a refinish etc)

And a Restoration is just taking an old mtb and making it work like it did BiTD, generally with BiTD product, mending anything that needs mending. Repaint it if you want.
A 'Full Restoration' one would be using only BiTD product, and probably nearer to how that company would have specified thier bikes.

Ride both as you will, get them dirty, it doesn't matter to how you restored it.

Last edited:
Catalogue correct
Period correct (all parts from within a year or three)
All retro (but from a mishmash of years)
retro mod (old frame new parts)

I like this, but I think I might add another category for pedigree historic bikes (documented bikes owned by a famous cyclist like John Tomac) and reproductions (undocumented bikes built to replicate a bike ridden by a famous cyclist).

Awesome Discussion and Input
Knew someone would know more than me

One of the basis of the Q was to see ‘where my bike would fit’

Have much better idea from Fluffy and MTSelf’s comments
Some where between restoration and period correct
Little less than ‘restoration’ as I had to replace few parts, but searched for period correct parts(cantilevers/front shock) to get bike safe and ridable

Much more clear on resto mod definition as well (Upgrading to disks for example on a 30yr old bike)
Thanks all
Please keep comments coming

Back