Polished Giant XTC (carbon rear triangle) Large + extras 07

trail-blazer

Retro Guru
First of all the term hybrid describes the use of carbon and aluminium in the frame's construction - they are MTB frames which are suited to 100mm travel forks. This frame was the forerunner to the XTC Alliance which had carbon seat-stays, (as well as top-tube and seat tube - thanks CK)

Anyway, being a fan of all things shiny, I quite fancied doing a polished alloy/carbon Giant frame as I already had a full carbon XTC Composite. Needless to say it was a quite a faff as the rear end had to be masked before I could remove the paint and machine polish the front end. Then the decals on the rear end needed removing as they were the wrong colour but were beneath the lacquer so the rear end needed a new clear-coat.

The frame is large which is 21", it is Disc-only and is in excellent condition. The carbon rear end is in excellent shape too - the lacquer had a couple of scuffs from chain-suck but they are superficial and haven't touched the carbon.

I only used the frame a couple of times last year when I had it built up with 700c disc wheels. The frame will be supplied with a 2-ride old FSA headset, original Giant seat post, Giant 120mm stem and some Ritchey low-risers. The frame weighs 1500g.

I doubt I will ever use this frame again as I spend more time messing around with old road bikes these days.

I have used various rawed and polished frames all year round - they are fine as far as rain and mud are concerned but they don't like salt so best kept away from wet/gritty winter roads to keep the finish looking at it's best.

I'd be asking £100 plus post for the bundle which would be around £15. I'd rather keep it than sell for less than that TBH.

Built up with carbon rigid forks (sold) and 700c disc wheels...

Frame before I stripped and polished it

More pics in here...

http://s495.photobucket.com/user/iconic ... t=3&page=1

Feel free to PM me for info...

Re:

Wrong section fella, should be in the road or post 98 sections, won't garner much interest in the pre '97 retro Mtb section.

Re:

OK, thanks for the info. These frames were MTB frames not hybrids as we refer to them now. The Hybrid tag was a reference to the frame's carbon and aluminium construction. I do think that the Hybrid tag could confuse people and put them off, I guess, but that's what they were called. (I'm not sure if manufacturers had started calling road-friendly MTBs hybrids at this exact point in time)

Maybe I should just call it a half carbon XTC?

Giant later changed the rear end to carbon seat-stays only and called it the Alliance - another reference to the use of the two materials. (The Alliance had a carbon seat-tube and top-tube also, as pointed out by CK)

I didn't realise I had put it in the pre 97 section though. I might start over on that section at a later date or ask a mod to move it...

Definitely a mountain bike though. I just wanted to try my 700c disc wheels on something. ;)

Some wrong info on the alliance there dude it had carbon seat stays, seat tube and top tube I know as I've been through a few over the years from the first alliance till the last 26" one they did

cannondale king":3pej8zi5 said:
Some wrong info on the alliance there dude it had carbon seat stays, seat tube and top tube I know as I've been through a few over the years from the first alliance till the last 26" one they did

Sorry, I was referring to the differences at the rear end only. I hadn't really thought about the rest of the frame TBH.

My frame has a carbon rear end only and is described as such. :oops:

Back