PO bike headset question

I was not meaning you should case harden, only that it is probably not necessary, I don't imagine huge mileages on it. Only that the originals were pretty rough. The Dursley Pedersen I had (ages ago) only had a small taper casting for a bottom bearing.

I got what you were saying. In fact today I think I have tracked down aan original. If it materialise I won't have to get one made and best of all it will cost about £6.

bm0p700f et al,
Though this would be the best place to post this as I'm currently in the process of restoring/customising a Pashley trade bike (as a summer wine cruiser for the wife) which only came with half a headset (appears to be relitively modern and has ball bearings retained in a plastic retainer). It has a one inch steerer however I have tried an aftermarket 1" headset and the cups are too small.
Would an aftermarket 1" 1/8 item fare any better or should I be on the lookout for a genuine Pashley item?
As I’m fairly new to the anatomy of bikes, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I attach a photo in the hope that someone may be able to shed some light on my conundrum however will try and post some pics of the half of the headset that I have tonight if that would be any better.

Kind regards
Peter

Pashley.jpg

Which headset parts do you have as I now got various headset parts for this PO bike left over. I would need photo's of you have to see is I have the remainder parts.

I don't think 1 1/8th headset parts will work. Also do you have pics of the headtube? Are the cup pressed in or do they drop in like a more modern intergrated headset. I take it you also are using 1/8" balls.

I might be able to help you here or a least get the remainder parts for you.

that bike looks idenical the PO bike I had to sort out. Very nice.

Awesome,
Here is what I have to work with:

Not sure what's missing (except obviously some ball bearings) but this is what I have of the headset:
53840c8c.jpg

b79a5c46.jpg

9ccee121.jpg

5ebb9474.jpg

You have a press fit cups which are completely different to the ones I had made. They are not compatible. Also your balls are bigger than 1/8" I think.

Ok, thanks.
I've dropped Pashley an email and hopefully they can point me in the right direction.
I'll let you know how I get on so it may hopefully be of use to anyone that comes accross this thread in the future.

Back