pic hvy,a cow with 1 foot,trees and lots of bikes...

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
first off a warning.always book in advance at a campsite before ya leave because after driving through the wilderness for over an hour i found puddleduck farm to be met by the maneger who detailed how they were over there limit on campers...(oh crap now what).he tells me there is another campsite down the road i could try.so off i go in a slightly concerned mood to find the place.another hour goes by and i see a sign that points down a dusty track so i drive down it at the required 3 mph (the odd pothole here and there).i eventually arrive into the site to be met by a sign declaring !"full ".CRA*.I YELL.i turn round and head off back to the a11 getting quite worried now.as i get to the feed on lane i note a pub called the angel to my right...round the back of which is a very nice camp site that was almost completely empty.yay.turns out the reason it was nearly empty came to me later on but at that point i didnt care anymore.its only 10 quid a night with full shower and loo thing nearby.so i set up tent and relax for the rest of the day with only the gentle hum of the 1000s of crows in the forest behind me and the steady heavy rumble of the a11 and all its sordid contents belting there way down it at 120mph to keep me company.day 2 arrived at 4am to discover i was bursting for the loo.poking me nose out the tent i was met by a wall of morning mist rolling in (quite pretty actually).........and total silence ..except for the crows who were in the middle of improving on their "noisiest birds of the world ever "world record by creating a second verse of "lets wake the campers up rendition of "screech and the whole world screeches with you".several cups of milky coffee later and i begin to feel human.i should add that even at 6 in the morning the sun was very hot already and with no clouds in the sky i knew it was going to be a good day.about 930 i set off to find brandon country park using my old gizmondo sat nav as the google earth on my phone wasnt interested in helping me .....i managed to find the place after a while and parked up in the shade .....to my right i noticed a bike upside down with a very nice flip orange paintjob...ooooh a klein i thought....sorry fellas it turned out to be a trek instead.go figure.for my first loop i do the blue with yellow circle track which is quite nice to start off with...its very much like fritton woods only muchos bigger with more flint under foot though.coleman was attached to the front of the bike for most of the ride so i could get some funny pics...turns out he lost a foot some way round the red route later on and i had to go back and try to find it or face the prospect of a 1 foote d cow as a mascot.i did find the foot after going round the forest several times via the red black and blue routes...some kind sould had found the boot and put the thing at the front gate of brandon country park......guess i diddnt have to cycle 20 miles looking in the end..oh well.
it must be said at this point at no time did i use my head to break my fall as i didnt crash once.a firsty for me.i did manage to drink an awful amount of water that day and avoided the dreaded sun burn thing too.when 3 o clock showed its face so did all the other riders who seemed to arrive all at once...it got very busy so i called it a day with some very nice riding under me belt ...and not a single puncture from all that flint too...
the afternoon was spent on site relaxing over a nice pile of sossie sandwiches and reading magazines whilst basking in the sun...
day 3 i decided to go for a ride through the area i was staying with a quick visit to the worst carboot sale in the whole universe(snetterton racetrack) via a short trudge on the a11(all uphill ) followed by going back to the campsite afterwards.i did spin out going down hill on a 52 big ring and an 11 at the back so i did get some downhilling in at least .inthe afternoon i went exploring the back roads for several hours and ended up doing about 20 miles....when i was about 10 miles away my bb started making an odd noise so i turned round and headed back to the tent for a well earned rest and a nice ice cream.
im now looking forward to going back again so i can spend longer at the site ...gunna take more food wth me too .......(beer in otherwords for those evening moments)...heres some pics and a few tube links.

Attachments

• 29052009263.jpg
    29052009263.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 606
  • 29052009264.jpg
    29052009264.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 29052009265.jpg
    29052009265.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 606
some more pics

Attachments

• 29052009267.jpg
    29052009267.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 605
  • 29052009268.jpg
    29052009268.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 604
  • 30052009272.jpg
    30052009272.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 30052009273.jpg
    30052009273.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 605
a few more

Attachments

• 30052009274.jpg
    30052009274.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 603
  • 30052009276.jpg
    30052009276.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 603
  • 31052009277.jpg
    31052009277.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 603
  • 31052009278.jpg
    31052009278.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 603
i meant to add that the only decent retro bike (2 in total) was a carbon gt lts owned oddly enough by the dude in the tent next to mine.i only saw it on the back of his car as he left on sunday..oh well.

Well done on putting the bbq above the grass and not on it
:cool: ,shame there appears to be no fire pits.You cannot camp without a fire,its a focal point,otherwise you go to bed when it gets dark and thats it.

Looks a lovely place to potter around
:)

i used the charcoal every hour or so to keep the fire going but at 930 it got too dark so i had to retire to watch films on me psp.kinda want to go back soon for more riding.

Tony we all head over there regulaly, why not tag along?. If you just rode the routes then you missed the best parts Thetford has to offer ;)

sounds good...im up for it...(at least thats what the graffitti says)...let me know when and im there .

Back