Withdrawn Pace 1 1/8 crown race shim

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve got an xt crown race but it don’t fit and it wobbles around, I’ve tried the race that was already on it but that’s too small for the large bearings of the xt

Anyone got a cheapo shim or would it be better just to cut up a can and use that?

Thanks.

Are you sure the XT race is not a 1 1/4"?

I am guessing the shim is for the Pace forks on the Marin, have the forks not got the shim already?

Are you sure the XT race is not a 1 1/4"?

I am guessing the shim is for the Pace forks on the Marin, have the forks not got the shim already?
No I doubt it. I’ll check though

Yes it is indeed. The forks have a crown race that fits but the race is too small for the 1/4” bearings of the xt headset.

Perhaps the the shim is stuck to the crown race that was originally on the fork, I didn’t look at it that closely.

You re confusing me now :LOL:

A 1 1/8" headset crown race will fit regardless of the bearing size? if the race you took off is 1 1/8" and the new headset race is 1 1/8" then it will be a straight swap.

You re confusing me now :LOL:

A 1 1/8" headset crown race will fit regardless of the bearing size? if the race you took off is 1 1/8" and the new headset race is 1 1/8" then it will be a straight swap.
Well I tried it just didn’t fit right, the bearings were on the edge of the race and not the groove.

Well I tried it just didn’t fit right, the bearings were on the edge of the race and not the groove.

? you will have to post some pics (which will make your problem a lot clearer) as still not clear.

Are you saying the XT race is too small for the lower headset cup/bearings? or, are you referring to the original headset race not fitting the XT lower cup and bearings? and therefore you tried fitting the XT crown race but that was too loose for the steerer to work properly? though the internal diameter of the crown race will be the same on both races and therefore both will fit the same if both are from 1 1/8" headsets.

? you will have to post some pics (which will make your problem a lot clearer) as still not clear.

Are you saying the XT race is too small for the lower headset cup/bearings? or, are you referring to the original headset race not fitting the XT lower cup and bearings? and therefore you tried fitting the XT crown race but that was too loose for the steerer to work properly? though the internal diameter of the crown race will be the same on both races and therefore both will fit the same if both are from 1 1/8" headsets.
Xt race fits the headset, original race from fork doesn’t fit. If it did, I would be using that.

Pace forks need a shim for certain crown races to be used I think. Perhaps the reason is the original fits is because there is a shim stuck in it, as that seems a common occurrence.

I’ll get some pics Tomorrow.

Back