NOS 1994 Klein Quantum II build and blog

Monkeymsp

Dirt Disciple
I recently found, and won, a NOS 1994 Klein Quantum II from eBay. Since this is the second time I am doing a Klein build in a year, I decided I would start a blog about the experience. There are a number of tricks I have learned about getting parts, getting old ones removed, and new ones installed. Specifically the press fit bottom bracket...

I don't see a lot of posts here about putting new groups on old frames. But, after wearing chain rings and cassettes down to pointy nubs several times on my 1989 Klein, I must say that I enjoyed putting the new technology on my trusty old friend. Plus, as an added bonus, the drop outs on the 1994 are wide enough to accommodate a modern 10spd drivetrain. :)

Since I just started this build, I am open to any and all feedback you have about the project. You can read more about my previous build on my Tumblr blog at http://kleinquantum.tumblr.com

For this new build, the only items I have already ordered are: Phil Wood press fit outboard bearing bottom bracket, and a NOS threadless Campy Record headset. Everything else is TBD. Although I am leaning toward an Ultegra 10spd group with a compact crankset.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 826
That looks fantastic, what a find, maybe these are easy to surce in the States? Klein always did the best paint jobs. These frames in my opinion can easily handle newer style components as the looks were way ahead of their time, probably best as you say with some type of Shimano, but I think SRAM force/red would look stunning on this and you can bling out on diffrent coloured lever hoods. Looking forward to the build :D

Well, I was distracted by another build for a while. But, I finally got around to ordering some of the parts. The replacement outboard bearing bottom bracket from Phil Wood is here along with the Campy Record headset and a shim so that I can use a 1 1/8" stem with the 1" steerer tube. It really starts to feel real when the parts begin to arrive :)

Attachments

• philwoodbb.jpg
    philwoodbb.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 739
  • philwoodbbbox.jpg
    philwoodbbbox.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 739
  • campy.jpg
    campy.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 739
Hi,
Long time since you made an update. Any news on the build. Im myself trying to organize to have a Quantum Pro shipped over to Europe and am in the wild if I want to go classic (Dura ace 7700) or modern with it. Would love to see some pics of your Klein dressed up modern.

Cheers
Jakob

Back