MCUs and Elastomers soon for various old school forks

johndeverill

Senior Retro Guru
Well, seeing as I'm quite pleased with how my RC35 MCUs have come out and the fact I've been asked to do some Manitou 2 versions I am now making tooling to produce either MCUs or solid elastomers in the following specs:-

OD 25mm, 22mm, 19mm and 16mm
ID 10mm, 6mm and 5mm

This should cover most options.

Before anyone says MCUs are no better than solid elastomers just take a look at the bump stops on any car shock absorber.....they're MCU! Now if solid elastomer was better you'd think they'd use these as they are a damn sight easier/cheaper to manufacture than MCU. There are other reasons for MCU that I won't go into detail for that application but also just take note pretty much all the early suspension fork manufacturers moved to MCU so there must be something in it! Apart from that I have damping/hysterisis curves comparing the two and the relative reasons for using MCU.

In some respects, compared to modern forks, they are a world away in respects of shock absorption/damping but why not get the best out of them I say!

Will update as and when the tooling is ready/initial tests on the RC35 ones are done.

Re:

Hi Michael,

If you can give me the dimensions I probably have the right size tooling or could certainly make it.

I had some Q21Rs recently, with the long elastomer, which would have been really useful to measure up but they have now gone.

Cheers

John

Re:

Hi John, the 21s take a single long elastomer in each leg while the 21Rs take a stack of five in each leg similar to Judys. I'll see if I can get some measurements and /or pics over the weekend. Cheers, Mike.

Back