Manitou Hardtail HT - need help

generalmishkin

Retro Newbie
Good morning all you awesome people,

A 1997/8 manitou HT has just popped up for sale and it looks gorgeous. Very much would like too add it to the fleet.

what am I getting myself in-for? I've heard they crack fairly often, is there a particular place to check, any other weird bits I need to know before I drive over.

I really appreciate any advise, I'm a GT guy and this is a little out of my knowledge base.

If you buy a manitou, you aren’t going to ride it (much)

They crack fairly often around the headtube and bb so I would look at it first before you commit.

Do you want to ride it or show it off?

Oh yikes, I knew they were delicate but not to that degree. Was hoping to be able to ride it - set it up for on road and very light trail use and hope for the best. Have a beater zaskar I can use on trial. It's a little more money that I want to spend for wall art - though it is pretty.

It appears to have the right front derailleur so that's a plus. Will give the frame a proper look over if I go see it.

Quick question for the experts here, does it effect all modal years or are some better than others - after some research I'm certain it's a 97

Having owned (and still own) a bunch of manitou's I would say yes they do crack, but the later ones (97ish) tend to be a little more rubust.

That being said, if you purchase it and are uk based I would recommend speaking to Dan Chambers @danson67 about having the head tube relieved to lessen the risk of cracking.

Great frames, ride it, worst case it cracks and they can be repaired 👍

Literally tubular tin foil…

Mine would crack, get repaired then crack next to the original crack! Was a ******* nightmare! 🤦🏻‍♂️

0B6AD34E-C352-473B-8D89-227AC86DE86D_Original.jpeg

It was a nice thing to look at though, just too fragile to be anything other than a wall hanger…

IMG_8638.jpeg

Back