M739 / M740 Shift Indicator Repair

Lucidone

Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I picked up some M740 shifters on eBay with some issues (cable access screws rounded, shift indicator issue(s) and indexing problem)

I've managed to remove the screws and rebuild the indicator (spring displaced) and shifting actually seems perfect to me, however, the rh/8 speed shifter is missing it's shift indicator actuator (white plastic part in below photo) - does anyone know a source for these or have an otherwise redundant shifter/indicator they might spare?

PXL_20240118_210535095.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Am just about to open up a set of 7 speed Rapid Fire shifters that seem to be not working - did you strip them completely and re-build them back up? If so was it difficult? Sorry I don't have that spare part you are looking for, someone out there must have an old set in a box though that are not using.

I didn't need to strip the shift mechanism at all. I suspect the advertised shifting issue with these was the fact that they were tried without a cable pulling the nipple gripple straddle peice and this was floating around and getting jammed up - easy win for me this day!

I didn't need to strip the shift mechanism at all. I suspect the advertised shifting issue with these was the fact that they were tried without a cable pulling the nipple gripple straddle peice and this was floating around and getting jammed up - easy win for me this day!
Mine looks similar, I have just opened the right hand 7 speed side, the mech looks fine, the main allen nut was loose, mech coming away from the housing, and the "indicator" was sticky, I have let the mech in some GT85 and lightly sprayed cleaned the indicator mech spring, I will apply some gear/transmission oil to the mech in the morning then try and get the "indicator" tab lined up properly. I suspect gear oil will be better for this mech rather than grease that will go sticky. Fingers crossed I can get it to work again :cool:

Back