Koga-Miyata TerraLiner-Alloy

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This is my early 90s Koga-Miyata TerraLiner-Alloy

My first proper bike was a Koga-Miyata TerraLiner-Carbolite hybrid bike. It had a light frame, full XT group and Syncros everything - very neat. That was in 1992. I did use it for serious mountainbiking, what was not what it was intended for, so the frame developed a warranty issue after 4 years. Koga gave me SkyRunner-Carbolite (a real mountainbike) as replacement.

Now almost 20 years later I have another TerraLiner. This TerraLiner-Alloy I bought several months ago and I gave it a full overhaul. It is ready for many miles. This TerraLiner-Alloy has a nice bonded aluminium/steel frame. The brakecable is routed through the toptube and under the downtube there is a mount for a Miyata CO2 cartridge holder. The bike has a reliable Deore DX groupset and Nitto cockpit.

47147754892_7e0cba288e_b.jpg

It has a more upright/comfortable seat position than my 1992 bike.

47147753662_88325aa050_b.jpg

Re:

Hello,

I'm looking at building up a gravel bike/cyclocross based on a terraliner frame.
I've seen a couple of carbolites for sale, but since you mentioned your warranty issue,
I wanted to see if it's a good idea to use a carbolite for off road (especially one that might be
25 years old). What eaxclty happened to your frame?

The other alternative is to use one of the alloy ones. If you know of an alloy terraliner in size 57-60 for sale,
please do let me know :)

Johnny

Thanks for this Koga thread - an interesting read. Nice bike in beautiful condition.

Recently found a later Terraliner (2001?): 57cm with a parallel 71 degree frame in O/S cromo. It wasn't in good condition & had been in a rainy environment. It's a versatile bike, but heavy. It'll need more replacement components and the frame painted sometime in the future.
20210813_133118.jpg 20210829_062537.jpg

This is my early 90s Koga-Miyata TerraLiner-Alloy

My first proper bike was a Koga-Miyata TerraLiner-Carbolite hybrid bike. It had a light frame, full XT group and Syncros everything - very neat. That was in 1992. I did use it for serious mountainbiking, what was not what it was intended for, so the frame developed a warranty issue after 4 years. Koga gave me SkyRunner-Carbolite (a real mountainbike) as replacement.

Now almost 20 years later I have another TerraLiner. This TerraLiner-Alloy I bought several months ago and I gave it a full overhaul. It is ready for many miles. This TerraLiner-Alloy has a nice bonded aluminium/steel frame. The brakecable is routed through the toptube and under the downtube there is a mount for a Miyata CO2 cartridge holder. The bike has a reliable Deore DX groupset and Nitto cockpit.

47147754892_7e0cba288e_b.jpg

It has a more upright/comfortable seat position than my 1992 bike.

47147753662_88325aa050_b.jpg
Nice bike. I am going to pick one up in Germany next week. It has only been ridden for about 600 km during its lifetime :) I have a question. What is the seattube size on this bike? Is it 25.8 as on the Miyata Quick Cross which seem to have the same frame.

Back