Gitane Vitus GTI triple butted 8sp 105 STI group

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Okay, thinning out my collection
Vitus GTI triple butted frameset in Team RMO colours, originally sold by the cycles Berquez shop in Boulogne. Measures 57cm c-c, 58c-t seat tube with a 58cm top tube.

In lovely condition with nice half chromed stays on the drive side and Campagnolo forged dropouts. There's a graze on one of the stickers on the seat stay that's just gone through to the paintwork, other than that there's 1 very small chip on the down tube and two small ones near the bottom bracket shell and some very small marks that aren't worth bothering about
Fork is an early straight leg Time carbon fibre composite in superb condition with 105 threaded headset that runs smoothly.
Quill stem is a lovely 'Gitane cycles' pantographed job, bars 3TTT Competizione.
Nice Stronglight 100LX chainset with excellent 50/38 rings with original hard to find Stronglight alloy dust caps The BCD is 86mm so can down to 28T if required, rings readily available from SPA cycles amongst others.

Bottom bracket is nice and smooth with no play, not sure what it is tbh.

105 8 speed STIs are in excellent order both mechanically & cosmetically with solid but smooth shifts, rubber hoods nice & supple and without wear, levers not scuffed at all. Downtube Dura ace cable adjusters fitted so you could go to braze on DT shifters if need be.

105 derailleurs & dual pivot brakes all in great shape.

Nice Stronglight fluted seatpost that does have some light scratching (& I mean light not deep gouges) approx 3.5" from below the clamp. Saddle is a comfy if somewhat well used Madison G11

Wheels are a mismatch, front is Rigida DPX mated to a Miche TRW 5000 hub (plain guage SS spokes) The wheel itself is unused but the bearing shell has suffered some pitting (the bearings were rusty for some reason (but have all been replaced) so it isn't perfect. I've nipped it up as best I can but there's a tiny amount of play though still runs reasonably smoothly.

The rear is a barely used Alex rim on specialized hub. Runs smoothly though there's a minor dink to one of the spokes and isn't perfectly true. Freehub is 8/9/10 speed.
Tyres are hardly used no-name front and decent used gatorskin rear.
Comes with Shimano 12-26 8 speed cassette in very good order. Shimano chain is fine but somewhat grubby atm so i'll endeavor to give it a thorough clean. I'll throw in some lyotard quills which although need a lot of work polishing up (as they've oxidised a lot) they work well all the same.

I never did ride this as often as I should have, however she's comfy, will eat up the miles and is decently responsive.

All up sans pedals she's about 10kg, so shedding the heavy weight bits (wheels especially) will soon pare her down :eek:) Sub 9kg shouldn't be too hard

Asking the princely sum of £350 with no offers. Collection very much preferred from Letchworth Garden City but can courier (next day, fully tracked & insured) for £15 anywhere or would drive down to high Barnet tube for £10 late evening or early weekend mornings for those of you London based.

Bags of photos via email
5845587290_e5625ca312_b.jpg

5845589878_1f1d0f0dd8_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back