FS: F.W. Evans 531 touring frame - SOLD

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm selling my Evans touring frame and in the interests of transparency (as they say these days) here's why.

I had a few frame shimmy/speed wobble incidents on the bike it was built into. The last one resulted in me coming off the bike and breaking a wrist bone so now I am breaking up the bike as I can't see me getting back on it - ever. Most people I've spoken to about it are very surprised and in the politest possible way say it was probably a rider problem rather than the bike/frame. It was fine for many years so they're probably right.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy it after all that here's the details.

Bought new by me in the mid 80s from F.W. Evans. Resprayed once by them in 1990 and again in 2006 by Pennine Cycles when a threadless steerer was put on.
Tubing: Reynolds 531 Double Butted - before the days of 531C/531ST
Lugs: No idea
Dropouts: Suntour
Braze-ons: Cantilever brake bosses, down tube bottle cage bosses (top and underside), down tube gear lever bosses, under BB cable guides, 3 top tube rear brake cable guides, chain pip on RH seat stay, single mudguard eyes front and rear and rack bosses on seat stays.

Paint is chipped on the drive side chain stay and peeled off from the dropouts. There are other chips and some rust on the mudguard bridge but nothing serious.

Measurements:
Seat tube c-c 55cm (IIRC it was sold as 22.5" c-t)
Top tube c-c 55.5cm
Head tube 14cm
Rear spacing 126mm
Front spacing 100mm
Seatpin diameter 27.0mm (slightly unusual I know)
Front mech 28.6mm band-on
Bottom bracket English BC 1.37 68mm
Headset 1" threadless with 8cm of steerer left with half a headset as pictured. The headset is the remains of a Campag Chorus one that is unserviceable. I can remove the cups and crown race if necessary.
I suspect it was built for 27" wheels because it needed Weinmann 730 brakes with 700c wheels. That's one reason I had the cantilever bosses put on in 1990.

Looking for £50 posted within the UK.

Photos are on Flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52939874@N ... 943753101/

Cheers,
Mark.

PS: How do I get pics in the advert?

Back