Frame ID help please - Cougar?

Sketchyxup

Retro Guru
Hi chaps, I bought an old giant OCR from a mate of mine at the weekend for my son. When I was picking it up he said he was going to throw out this old frame and I could have it if I wanted it, i'm a sucker for collecting old tat so this came home with me too.

He said he thinks it's a Cougar frame but some internet trawling has drawn a blank on anything similar, it's the fluted top and down tubes I just cant seem to match to anything?
Someone and given it a terrible diy paintjob at somepoint which makes it hard to picture, one dropout is stamped 69 but that's the only mark on it?

Last edited:
If memory serves me that was painted in the Mapei colours which had those tube profiles ,only did maybe six or so

Mapei was on Colnago wasn't it? I think the Cougar brand was something to do with the Terry Dolan?

There was a very strong rumour that Terry was making bikes for Chris Boardman when he was a pro. The contract stated that he rode Mercx bikes, so allegedly, Terry made the frames and they were painted in Mercx colours. He may have done the same for a Mapei rider.

Last edited:
I thought the unusual tubing would have helped ID it but I simply cant find anything like it, I know Columbus used to offer fluted tubing and they did a profile called a tapered 4 way flute which would describe the shape but nothing mentioning Aluminium.

I might have a rub at the paint with some wet and dry and see if there is any original colour under it?

Just found that which points to it being a Donohue era Cougar, there is a Graham Weigh bike mentioned on that thread which looks to have the same profile tubes but the cable guides are in a different place.

Back