Fixing the damping on a Pace RC36 evo Pro Class

2manybikes

Old School Hero
Hi,

I got some nice looking Pace RC 36 Evo Pro Class forks on a bike i just bought, with no visible wear to the stanchions. However, the damping seems completely shot on them - they have no damping plus they extend further when you lift the front end of the bike...

Does anyone know how you service the dampers or is it a replacement unit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here's a really bad picture of the bike. A 97 (I think) Cinder Cone. I thought it was a bargain at £150 with the pace forks, avid arch supreme v brakes and crossmax mk 1 wheels.

Attachments

• IMG-20221129-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20221129-WA0005.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 17
You need to take them apart to see but if they are extending when lifted, I suspect there is something amiss with the spring arrangement. Can be configured to run at 90mm travel but if the extra spring is missing that would happen. Same if the spring rod isn’t fully tightened. Easy to take apart to find out, all you do is remove the Allen bolts at the bottom and pull.

Damper sounds like no or not enough oil in it. They are pretty particular about oil level. To be honest, if you are used to modern forks it will always feel like a bit of a pogo stick.

Hope you are lucky, I’ve seen some look like yours but stanchions have been wrecked underneath where the bushings rub. Doesn’t really affect performance though.

I so wanted to buy that for the brakes , forks and wheels once I saw it.

The guy who sold it you is interested in a bike I’m selling, what’s he like?

Thanks for the advice Clubby!
The guy who sold the bike was friendly and seems honest. I was in a bit of a rush when I collected the bike so didn't hang around long to be honest.

I've had a few pace forks, oil levels are pretty critical iirc, especially with the lockout function.

It would certainly be worth popping the damper side cap off and checking the level. On the forks I've played with, there is a step/line inside which is the fill level for the fluid. If it's not at that level, I'd empty and refill and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, it might be o-rings need replacing. I did have a set where the damper shaft had scoring which was allowing fluid last the o-rings. Only cure was a new shaft.

Fork English, justbackdated user on here is the lace guru if you need or want to send away. He's done a few forks for me and the results have always been excellent.

Back