Finaly.. Got hold of a mint 96' Specialized Stumpjumper Fs M2

So the radially front wheel is no big deal? I have a chance to buy a nice set of correct Z21 wheels locally off a 95 stumpjumper but with black LX hubs in real good shape. Thinking hardly any difference between between hubs except for slightly heavier and easily changed skewers

Radially spoked front wheels was a thing in the later 90s, pinched from roadies. It looked good and saved weight but gave quite a solid and harsh ride. That’s why you don’t see that on more up to date bikes.

Deffo go for the Z-21s, the black Deore LX hubs would have been off the next model down, but you can always change to XT…you’ve already got an XT rear hub (provided the rim and hub has the same amount of spokes).

Yeah I'm with you on the Z-21's....personally I think black LX hubs aren't much of a compromise over the XT and being black would make the whole color combo pop. Think the trade off with the hubs is minimal to having a real nice set of correct wheels....appreciate your input..."ll keep you posted...Rob

Back